LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set a typedef'd text ring to "scale with pane"

Solved!
Go to solution
I'm trying to create a program with a statusbar that displays certain error messages. So what I did is I created a small vertical split, removed the scrollbar and everything and inserted a text ring, containing all the status codes. Works fine. In order for the user to be able to resize the program window, I checked the "scale object with pane". Just the same: works beautifully. Now, trying to become a dataflow master and structured labview programmer, I make the textring a typedef. Of course I avoid making it a strict typedef, so that I could re-use it and re-design it, too. Now what happens is that when I drag the newly created control into the status bar, the "scale object with pane" option doesn't show up anymore. Why? How can I get it back? What am I missing? Alternatively: is there a better design pattern on how to tackle such a scenario? Thanks z
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,484 Views)
(sorry for the stupid formatting - it seems the forum ate all the carriage returns there)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,481 Views)

Hi,

I would say this is normal behaviour. When I set up an example VI and insert a string and make it a Typedef I can't select "scale with pane" either.

I guess the option is simply blocked for Typedefs. It would make sense, too, because when the application runs, the Property would have to be changed for all representatives of the typedef.

Best regards,

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,458 Views)

jak888 wrote:I would say this is normal behaviour. When I set up an example VI and insert a string and make it a Typedef I can't select "scale with pane" either.

I guess the option is simply blocked for Typedefs. It would make sense, too, because when the application runs, the Property would have to be changed for all representatives of the typedef.

Hi Peter,

I would agree if this was for a STRICT typedef. As far as I understood it, the idea of (non-strict) typedefs was that you could actually change how the control would look in each instance. Even if it was a strict typedef, why would anyone want to prevent the developer from making 20 equally sized panes?

Thanks,

zeeed

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,452 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author zeeed

Hi,

after looking into this deeper I found out, that if you first make the indicator scalable with pane and then make it a typedef, that indicator will scale with pane. However, if you copy the typedef, the scale with pane beaviour disappears.

This definitely isn't the behaviour you would expect. That's why I filed a CAR for the Issue that has the Number 333531

If you get the new Version you have to look for the Number in the release notes. If it appears, the issue has been fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Remember Cunningham's Law
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,433 Views)

Hi,

thanks for confirming. Yes, I noticed the same behavior (scaling to panel first and then converting to a typedef) - another reason to assume that the change in the context menu must be erroneous.

Best,

zeeed

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,422 Views)