From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to run a vi through another computer?

I have two different vis on two separate computers and I want to use one computer as master to run both programs.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,643 Views)
Hello Ali Davar:

What is your connections? Are your computers connected through internet protocol?
If so, go to "Tools"->"Web Publishing Tool". From there you can set-up your vi to be viewable/controllable through a web browser.

I hope this helps. Please inform me if you have further questions.
Message 2 of 8
(3,637 Views)
Hi,

I have two computer with two different vis. the computers are connected via LAN and I could also connect two boards on each computer using BNC cable. I want to start vi 1 from computer 1 (master computer), which will turn on the valves and collect data. while vi 1 is running, start vi 2 on computer 2 to collect some other data.

I hope I could explain it better.

Thanks,
AD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,635 Views)
Hello AD:

I think it is clearer to me now. I have a few more questions though.
What is the relationship of vi2 to computer1? Do you want computer1 to run vi2? Or do you want vi2 to be on computer1 instead?

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions.
Message 4 of 8
(3,624 Views)
Hello AD,

If understand your question correctly, you would like to command a VI to start execution on a remote computer. If these computers are connected using a network, I would suggest using the VI Server to command the remote VIs. This will allow you to not only execute the VIs, but also perform more advanced operations such as setting the front panel control values remotely

The Tutorial linked here is a good place to start with using VI server. It also includes an example of creating a VI and running it remotely.

Have a great day!

Scott Y
NI
Message 5 of 8
(3,604 Views)
Hi,

I want to run vi2 through computer 1. the two vis are not related.

AD
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,582 Views)
Hi AD,

I am confident that running the remote VI through VI Sever will be the best solution for your application. The example program titled Remotely Control a DAQ VI through VI Server should be a good starting point since your application requires DAQ on the remote computer.

Scott Y
NI
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,564 Views)
If you want to wait until the 1st VI is complete, use the call by reference node. if You want it to operate and still be able to do other tasks, use the invoke node. I've been playing with it. We run a front panel on a laptop and have an "embedded" system on the instrument that generates the data. The laptop starts the VI on the system, sends a control array and then picks up the acquired data off of the data socket server. The laptop also shows a picture of the front panel of the VI while it is running on the embedded system.

Best of luck!

-Rob
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,561 Views)