LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to read data from fluke 287 using labview ?

Hi yash,

as I wrote: either look into the InstrumentsIO or your User functions palette:

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,148 Views)

hello,

thanks. I have got this. 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 20
(1,143 Views)

what will be the next step ?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 20
(1,142 Views)

Hi yash,

what will be the next step ?

- play with the example VIs coming with this special device driver (if there are any) to learn their usage

- read the manual of your Fluke

- set parameters of your Fluke using the device driver VIs in the same way as is described in the manual (or is done manually on the Fluke panel)

- read measurement data using the device driver VIs in the same way as is described in the manual

Or to put it in other words: next step is "programming"… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 14 of 20
(1,136 Views)

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,131 Views)

I have a Fluke 287 and the LabVIEW driver for it. The driver's docs indicate that it communicates via the serial port. Since the 287 doesn't come with a serial port I must buy an accessory from one of Flukes distributers. What model number will I need to order that is compatible with the driver?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(292 Views)

Based on Fluke's site, you need https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/accessories/adapters/fluke-ir189usb

santo_13_0-1705464304480.png

santo_13_1-1705464347829.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(281 Views)

Thank you,
Fluke's web page is misleading according to their own tech support. I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually done this.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(271 Views)

According to the product page on the Fluke website you would need the ir3000 FC infrared connector. Yes it also names the ir189 accessory as well in the list of possible accessories (and doesn't list the ir3000) but in the description it states the ir3000. If that will work with the communication through VISA is of course a big question. They only mention their LiveView software which may or may not use a proprietary driver.

However if you look on the ir189 product page it explicitly names the 287 and 289 as compatible device. So I think the Fluke sales person is somehow talking out of their neck claiming that it won't work with your DMM.

The ir3000 seems to have a BLE interface (but talks also about being upgradable through USB, however I don't believe that it supports communication through USB). It is meant to let your mobile talk to the device through BLE.

There is also a Fluke 287 FlukeView® Forms Combo Kit that comes with the FlukeView Forms software and a communication cable that looks suspiciously like the ir189. If that ir189 cable is a standard USB-RS232 interface it should work with VISA even if you might have to hunt down an according Fluke proprietarty Virtual Comm Port driver for it. But the FlukeVIEW Forms software might also interface to the USB interface with a proprietary driver interface in which case it won't work with NI VISA.

While Fluke hardware is usually quite good, despite its name 😁, the tendency to try to corner customers into proprietary added services is sometimes quite annoying but not at all an exception in the T&M market.

And yes the website could be clearer and there could be definitely more information such as an actual Programmer Manual that documents the remote communication with the device (if the interface it not proprietary anyhow). That the sales people don't really seem to know what they are selling, doesn't help either.

Here seems a manual that documents the remote control commands: https://www.uniteng.com/neildocs/facilities/Fluke289_remote_spec28X.pdf.

It's probably a good guess that it uses the ir189 cable, since that seems to match exceptionally well with the Fluke 189 DMM mentioned in the documents as being the same interface although using a faster baudrate for the 287/289 DMM.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 19 of 20
(258 Views)

Thank you, Rolf,

Here is how it went for me.
The sales guy at Fluke said that I needed the FVF-SC2 product. It contains the FormView software and the cable that goes from the 287 to the computer USB port. It was a bit pricy ($280) but it worked. I downloaded the LabVIEW driver for the 287 and ran the example. It worked. Then using Rolf's link above I downloaded the programmer's manual. I wrote a quick "Command/Response VI and got that to work too.

If I was to do this again, I would try to find a cheaper way to get the cable. I really don't need the FormView s/w if I can get the cable working without their USB driver. The 287 costs something like $800 but I was able to get one on FB Marketplace for $200 for I didn't mind the $280 charge for the cable and s/w. Next time I might mind.
If anyone tries and succeeds with a less expensive method, let me know how it went.

Message 20 of 20
(189 Views)