From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to protect DAQ modules from inductive voltage spikes

Solved!
Go to solution

I just ordered the USB 9221 DAQ module. It will read voltages up to 60 volts. My loads are inductive. I have been using diodes to prevent negative spikes. I used a scope on one of the inductive loads with out a diode. I recorder -560 volts. Is TVS type of diode better? If so how do I specify a part? I do not want to blow up the DAQ module.

Thanks

Philip

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,369 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pnielsen@gplains.com

Philip,

It depends.  What is the source of your signal? What is the voltage and frequency range of the desired signal? How is it coupled to the inductive loads? How fast are the transients? How much energy do they contain?  What kind of grounding circuits do you have?

Diodes are often good protectors.  TVS diodes are usually specified and rated for transients while conventional diodes are typically rated fro rectification functions.  Some systems may require multiple protection devices selected to complement each other.  I have seen systems with gas discharge tubes, MOVs, diodes, and crowbars.

Lynn

Message 2 of 5
(2,366 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

I have seen systems with gas discharge tubes, MOVs, diodes, and crowbars.

Lynn

In an old cabinet, recently removed from a physics lab, we found a mystery when playing "name that widget" inside a dumpster. Half of Pitt's Condensed Matter Physics Department was set back by a row of automobile spark plugs mounted in a fixture on the inside of the cabinet. We eventually decided they were being used as spark arrestors.

This lead me to investigate a related question with one of the Emeritus types, "What did you use for a vlotage reference before Zeners were invented?" Answer: Chemical cells.

Sorry about the trip down memory lane but sometimes the old ways of doing things can inspire new.

Ben 

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 3 of 5
(2,359 Views)

I have actually used saturated cells as voltage standards (1.0189 V/cell if memory serves correctly), although it has been quite a few years.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,355 Views)

If you look on pg 17 of the manual Smiley Winkyou'll see the specs for the input protection of the 9221-  you seem to be OK but, its better to have too much input protection than too little.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,351 Views)