LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to programmatically configure USB devices, So that each time a new device is used on the same computer it will work.

how to programmatically configure USB devices, So that each time a new device is used on the same computer it will work.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,219 Views)

Without more detail (what devices, what MFG, etc ) I can only guess but,  I think this might be what you are looking for

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,197 Views)

Jeff,

Sorry for the lack of details.

But what I would like, is a way to automaticlly reconfigure NI's "USB-6259"

Currently, when a USB-6259 is connected to my computer, MAX will asign a Device#.

each time a different USB-6259 is connected to the same computer, the Device# is incremented.

Which causes my VI not to work, unless I physically go into MAX and reconfigure the Device. 

So I'm hoping for a way to have labview automaticlly configure, each time I change my USB-6259.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,187 Views)

Have you tried renaming the device in MAX? I generally name my device. If I need to delete it or change it, I go into MAX and delete the device and rename the new one. The program refers to the device name and no changes to the program s needed.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,178 Views)

Check the link in my first resonse----  You might be pleasantly rewarded Smiley Wink  that API can reassign aliases (according to prophecy)

Hence my tag on the site "TryThis"  I haven't yetSmiley Surprised and would like some feedback. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,175 Views)

Here is how I solved this issue for myDAQ, basically this function will generate the physical channel string for the first availible myDAQ (you can change this to other devices).

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-17682 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,987 Views)

I have the same issue, the problem with the API is that it can only reassign an alias to a name not already being used in the system.

So if my newly connectly USB device is shown as 'Dev2' but I want it to be called 'Dev1' it doesn't work as you cant rename it to an existing name (the disconnected USB device). So frustrating!

Has anyone managed a workaround for this yet?

Regards,

John Mc

Windows 7. LabVIEW 2011.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,885 Views)

Not yet,  although there have been Idea Exchange posts related to this.  For now you still need to use MAX>>Tools>NI VISA> VISA Options to manage Aliases for non connected USB Devices.  Just clear the old Alias (And Save) then the old Alias can be assigned to the new device.

Capture.PNG

When you see this screen you are in business

Message 9 of 11
(3,865 Views)

Hi Jeff,

As the customer I'm currently working for wanted the system to be as automated as possible I came up with this Community Example:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-26658

As it is only the revision there is plenty of room for improves, please comment on the Community post with ideas. A link to the Idea Exchange post relating to this subject would be helpful too! 

Thanks,

19jmc.

Windows 7. LabVIEW 2011.
Message 10 of 11
(3,835 Views)