From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make final (read-only) version of a *.vi

... so that the *.vi is only runable but not editable...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,895 Views)

You can password protect the diagram. Look under "VI properties...Security". 🙂

(Of course you can also e.g. remove the diagram, but then the VI can no longer be ugraded to a newer version)

If you have LabVIEW professional or higher (or purchased the application builder seperately), you can also turn your VIs into a standalone application. This has the advantage that you can run it on computers that don't have LabVIEW installed.

Message Edited by altenbach on 07-24-2006 11:01 PM

Message 2 of 9
(2,888 Views)
Hi Johan

@altenbach wrote:

If you have LabVIEW professional or higher (or purchased the application builder seperately), you can also turn your VIs into a standalone application. This has the advantage that you can run it on computers that don't have LabVIEW installed.

To complete altenbachs point (what is very rarely, as he gives almost perfect answers most of the time), if you build a standalone application you do not need LV to be installed but the runtime engine. Additionally you can create an installer where the rte is included or it is downloadable (I think for free) from NI.

Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 9
(2,884 Views)
I have Labview 8 Full development system... Does it include theese functions?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,882 Views)

becktho wrote:
...Additionally you can create an installer where the rte is included or it is downloadable (I think for free) from NI.

Thanks! Yes, the runtime engine is a free download. The recents versions are quite large, so I usually don't include the runtime with the installer to keep the distribution small.

(The runtime version must match the LabVIEW version used to built the executable. However, you can install as many runtime versions as you need. If the correct runtime version is not installed, it will let you know what version it needs). 😄

Message 5 of 9
(2,874 Views)

Johan.svensson wrote:
I have Labview 8 Full development system... Does it include theese functions?

No, FDS does not include the application builder. You can however purchase it as an add-on .

(Look for the section "deployment tools" in the comparison matrix ).

(Of course FDS includes the other mentioned options, such as passwording the diagram). 😄

Message 6 of 9
(2,870 Views)
Ok, then I know what to do... password.. Smiley Wink

Great help by the way!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,861 Views)

"altenbach" <x@no.email> wrote in message news:1153809612639-395640@exchange.ni.com...
becktho wrote:
..Additionally you can create an installer where the rte is included or it is downloadable (I think for free) from NI.

Thanks! Yes, the runtime engine is a <a href="http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/webcategories/85256410006C055586256BBB002C130D?opendocument&amp;node=132070_US" target="_blank">free download</a>. The recents versions are quite large, so I usually don't include&nbsp;the runtime&nbsp;with the installer to keep the distribution small.
(The runtime&nbsp;version&nbsp;must match the LabVIEW version used to built the executable. However, you can install as many runtime versions as you need. If the correct runtime version is not installed, it will let you know what version it needs). 😄

You don't even have to build a standalone executable to run it on a machine without LabVIEW.

If the runtime engine is present, you can also run (but not edit) normal VI's. Could save you the professional license.

Regards,

Wiebe.
Message 8 of 9
(2,856 Views)
You can also use the VI property Exec.RunOnOpen. If this property is True, your VI is in run mode whenever you open it.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,849 Views)