From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make Windows 10 fault tolerant to power off

Solved!
Go to solution

@RTSLVU wrote:

Yes, but the original poster also stated:

@ggregson wrote:

using battery backup is not an option.

When people say stuff like that, I don't believe them until they give a valid reason.

Usually you find out the reason is "my manager says so" and it is a case they don't want you to spend a few hundred dollars on something to solve the issue and expect miracles that there is some magic pill out there that is free, even if you spend a thousand dollars worth of time trying to find it.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(659 Views)

@rolfk wrote:
.... But that requires you to have either two flash disks or at least partitions. Windows without anywhere to write registry and other file changes is pretty unworkable.

Reminds of a sea-story

Spoiler

There used to be a big oil company called "Gulf". I was specializing in disk drive for mainframes and VAXes back then. Gulf Life Sciences had two huge disk drives (1.2 Gig back in the 80s was huge) that were connected via unique disk drive busses, and disk adapters, and were backed up to each other each night since the files on the drives were too large to be supported by even multiple reel to reel tape drives (single files could not span tapes, and "zips" had not been invented yet).

So I was invited to help out when they started to have problems with both disk drives. I worked through the problems and after seeing the customer finally relax, I asked;

Ben: "So what is stored on these drives that is so important?"

Customer: "Ten years of dead rats."

Spoiler
Gulf Life Sciences was the lab that did all of the toxicology testing for every petroleum product they could dream up.

😉

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 12 of 17
(656 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

Yes, but the original poster also stated:

@ggregson wrote:

using battery backup is not an option.

When people say stuff like that, I don't believe them until they give a valid reason.

Usually you find out the reason is "my manager says so" and it is a case they don't want you to spend a few hundred dollars on something to solve the issue and expect miracles that there is some magic pill out there that is free, even if you spend a thousand dollars worth of time trying to find it.

Agreed, I was just throwing the only other option I could think of out there hoping the OP would see that a UPS or at least a laptop with a good battery is really the only solution.

Consumer versions of Windows itself are not designed nor intended for "mission critical applications", (I believe it even says that in the EUA) 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(651 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ggregson

ok i will go with Windows embedded i.e Windows10 IoT

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(611 Views)

Only Windows IoT Enterprise (and not Mobile Enterprise) can run Windows native apps, which LabVIEW is.

And without the right hardware configuration it won’t really change much about the possibility to crash your filesystem on sudden power loss.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(603 Views)

I just think it's odd to spend all this time trying to figure out how to recover from a crash when the best bang-per-buck solution is to eliminate (or at least substantially mitigate) the problem in the first place.

It's like getting your DPT vaccine versus figuring out a way not to die when you contract diphtheria.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(569 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ggregson

My (old) experience with Windows embedded is that its not a plug and play experience but a lot of work to get it the way you want (work/time/money that can be spent on an UPS). And as said, embedded is not crash tolerant per-se. Yes, the system can be write-protected, but in what scenarios does that really help that you want to avoid?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(539 Views)