LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to extract data from a .txt file & send it to a serial port automatically

Hi all

I'm a final yr B.Tech student. I am new to the entire LABVIEW thing. But i hear its really good. My dept. in collge has purchased labview & i'm tryng to use it

As i'm new to labview , i need help plz

" I want to open a .txt file (in my PC) & transmit all the contents of the file via serial (COM) port to an 89%! microcontroller. Also i want to read the feedback messages from the microcontroller thru the serial port & save it to the same file in the PC.All this must be done automatically. ie, no manual intervention after execution starts"

Kindly help me as i'm stuck here & unable to proceed further with my project
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,829 Views)

here is my 20min try without debugging (needs a rs232 and loopback connector Smiley Wink)

use the probe and highlight the dataflow to see how it works.

as always:  there are many ways to solve your problem

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,817 Views)
I would recommend that you look into the "VISA Write From File" and "VISA Read To File" commands on the VISA Advanced pallette.  You could look at the "Basic Serial Read & Write" example to gain a basic understanding of Serial communication through VISA, then modify it to do the file I/O rather than accessing the controls on the front panel.

If you have not already done so, you should install the latest version of NI-VISA on your system, which can be found here: NI-VISA Downloads

Jason S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,796 Views)