From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to edit a vi file without labview

i work for the state of ri, and i have to edit a vi which was created about 4 years ago. we do not have labview here and wanted to know if it is possible to edit this. it is an exe file. i only need to make a minor change to it. please advise, very unfamiliar with labview, i cannot purchase labview, just wondering if there is anyway to edit this file
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,732 Views)
You need Labview. An alternative might be to send out the original vi to a third party and have them make the change, but of course this generally costs money too.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,732 Views)
If you can't buy LabVIEW, then there are a lot of NI Alliance companies out there that are capable of doing it for a fee. You can find a list at http://www.ni.com/alliance/. You will still need to have the original source code available.
Message 3 of 4
(3,732 Views)
jba,

If this is a simple change, and IF you have the source code, I may consider doing it for you at no charge.

Email me with a description of the change, and we can talk about it. If you don't have the source code, there is nothing anyone can do, you will have to find the company or individual that created it so see if they have the source.

In general, there is nothing you can do to edit an executable (unless you know machine code, and how to correct the checksum) without the source code. Even then, you will have to have LabVIEW. It would also be good to know what version of LabVIEW it was done in, as some versions are harder to convert than others.

Good luck
Message 4 of 4
(3,732 Views)