From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create more than one window for a vi that can be acces anytime...just like using the creating new window in internet explorer

Solved!
Go to solution
hello guys,
I want to create a vi such dat when I press a button on the frontpanel of the vi it opens the same vi in another window..and I should be able to work on this new window also able to work on the previous window without closing it...Just like opening a new window when using the internet explorer....
I try to make my vi a reetrant vi but when I click the new window button on my vi..a new clone windows open up that I can control but the previous windows is not accessible not I close the current window...I want a way that I can acces both vi window and d operation of one will not affect the other like when the indicators are updating in one window the other window will not update...
Thank you...
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,737 Views)

You need to provide a little more detail in yiour question.  Are you talking about opening new VI windows while you are working in the development environment, or for a user using your application while it is executing?  What is it that each window is supposed to be doing so that you have two of them?

It sounds like you tried to do something so far.  If it isn't working like you want, then post the VI so we can figure out what you are trying to do and see why it isn't working the way you want.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,736 Views)

The picture attached shows what i want to achieve as a vi or executable...The new window button opens a clone of the vi, but the previous window can not be operated on until i close the clone window...i want to be able to work on both window at any time without closing one of them....The vi was design in labview 2010

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,711 Views)

Take a look at the example I posted in this thread.

Spoiler

The Nugget I never wrote.

It is not written to your specs but it does contain many of the elements you will need.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 4 of 8
(2,703 Views)

You made the VI reentrant, but that does not change LabVIEW's programming model of dataflow. Once you call the subVI the while loop must wait until the subVI is done since it is linked statically on the block diagram. As Ben's example shows, you need to launch the VI dynamically so that LabVIEW can launch it and return to your while loop. The only data that LabVIEW would be waiting on is the data generated from the VI Server functions used to launch and run the VI.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,690 Views)

I have checked ben's example, is dat i am to dynamically call the reetrant vi when the new window button is pressed...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,684 Views)

One other thing worth noting is that not only are you dealing with re-entrant VI's, they are also recursive, meaning the VI is actually calling itself.  I believe that was something you could not do with LabVIEW until one of the fairly recent versions.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,680 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DatTechBoy
I have found a way of calling out a new window..I made use of dynamically calling the re-entrant vi whenever the new window button is pressed instead of calling a subvi....Thanks Guy
Message 8 of 8
(2,656 Views)