LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create interface for the tekscan bpms device with the labview

It seems that their response is what you need to do: buy one of the APIs they mention. You can check what you got with the system in case you already have this software, but if not, you will need to buy either API-1 or API-2 if you really want to interface this to LabVIEW. As for which one you need, at a cursory glance it would seem that API-2 is the better choice, but you really need to talk to the manufacturer and tell them exactly what you want to be able to do, and they can tell you which one is more appropriate.

I should warn you: this clearly requires interfacing to a DLL, and this is not trivial. If you lack programming experience and more specifically, LabVIEW experience, this is not something you will likely be able to do on your own as a first project. You should consider whether it's worth trying to interface this to LabVIEW, or just sticking with what they've got and coming up with an alternate method.

Just my $0.02. This is not meant as a discouragement, but as a reality check.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 31
(1,591 Views)
Do you have to buy them separately or do you get both of them for one price? If they are separately, then you have to decide which one to use. One (API-2) uses ActiveX and you use the Connectivity>ActiveX functions like the Property Node and Invoke Node. The other (API-1) is a dll that you would use with the Call Library Function Node. I'm not a big fan of ActiveX but you might want to look at some of the shipping examples to help you decide what might be easier to program. The ActiveX version is an interface to vendor's software and not a direct interface to the hardware. I would think that the API-1 version would be faster. If you are using LabVIEW 8.2, there is the Tools>Import>Shared Library that will create VIs for you. It needs the dll and .h file.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 31
(1,584 Views)
I am using the Labview version 7.1. I am finding what dll file in the vendors software that is needed. Can u please explain me clearly as to what to do with the dll file. And If possible can u look at the documents that I posted recently and tell me what exactly is the file and how to proceed with it. I am also looking at it but facing some difficulties in understanding. I hope since u had experiences in it, u will help me in doing so..Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 31
(1,582 Views)
The vendor mention that its API-2 that has got the dll file that is to be used with Labview. I am in the process of finding it. If u have got to chance to look at the documents that I send previously, Can u tell me as which file is the one and what to do after that? And I am confident enough that I can do on my own but I want the proper guidance. Hope u people help me in doing so. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 31
(1,582 Views)
I just got to know that the dll file costs more than we expect. And we take of that from our thinking. So, what we think is to develop the instrument driver for this in the labview. Do u think is the way to do? Suggest some ways for the problem please? Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 31
(1,575 Views)
If you read the data sheets, both of them have a dll. The api-2 requires that their program running because it is the ActiveX server.

The only way to avoid using one of their api's is to use VISA and communicate with USB RAW. I already provided a link that discusses this option. You still would need details from the vendor on the USB RAW protocol that they are using. I have found that this information is often difficult or impossible to get from a vendor. Even if they are willing to provide it, they may want to charge for it. There is not much you can do without their cooperation. You might want to see about USB sniffer tools. You might be able to monitor the communication and reverse engineer what they are doing. My advice is to pay for it.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 31
(1,569 Views)
As I said u already that it costs too much from what we expect. It costs around 2500$. And my boss wont allow me to buy that. I want to implement the driver for it. I will try to get the specifications from them for the USB RAW. Can you tell me how to proceed from there or Can you explain me how to implement the instrument driver for it if I have got the USB RAW details. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 31
(1,563 Views)
I'm sure that Dennis will follow up and provide you with more details. In the meantime, you might want to start with this. As discussed in the article, the manufacturer needs to provide you with the communication protocol. As should also be clear from the article, this method is not trivial. Perhaps this may be information to make your manager understand the issues involved.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 31
(1,565 Views)

First see if you can get the information. Then

Look at http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4478 to see how to get started.

For some example programs, look at

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3622

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/3637

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/4516

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 31
(1,557 Views)
Thanks for providing me with the information. Can u tell me exactly what should i get from them like what exactly should I ask the vendor for details. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 31
(1,552 Views)