LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a noisy signal in Labview with a given average amplitude and visualize it?

My question is very basic. I want to create an artificial noisy signal that for example looks like this link

This signal should simulate noise due to temperature and due to the environment such as a light source etc. 

Now let's say I want the average of this signal to be 20 uV (or 200 nA). I want to give the maximum random amplitude to be no more than 200 uV ( or 2000 nA). 

For the time (or sampling) I do not know but I like it to look like the link above and preferably I can change it as a user. 

Would you please give me some suggestions how to do this? (or if this is super easy to do, do it for me in Labview)

I have 2015 version.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,366 Views)

Simulate your theoretical signal and add Gaussian noise of the same size. (Signal generation palette). If clipping can occur, follow up with "in range and coerce".

Message 2 of 13
(4,353 Views)

And if you want to generate one point at a time, generate Gaussian noise using the box-muller transform from two random numbers 0...1 (the dice) and scale as needed.

Message 3 of 13
(4,347 Views)

... and to "visualize" it (whatever that means), use a graph (or chart as appropriate). Do you know the difference?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,345 Views)

Thank you. Would you explain more especially about he clipping? I do not have Electrical Eng background. 

Let's say my theoretical signal is a constant dc analog voltage and the value is 20uV. How should I represent it in Labview and how to add the Gaussian of the same size noise to it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,344 Views)

Yes, I have used graph and chart. It has been a long time I have not used labview. I just do simple things like connecting it to DAQ system and get the signal from a  sensor. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,343 Views)

Is there any similar example or tutorial for this that I can follow it?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,341 Views)

Gaussian noise has an infinite range and can go from ~-inf to ~+inf (with infinitely low probability). So if you simulate a signal from an a/d converter, all incoming signals outside the configured range will stick to the max or min of the range.

Message 8 of 13
(4,337 Views)

It is still not clear what you mean by "simulate". Do you just want to generate N points for further processing or do you want to simulate a continuous generation, one point at a time?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,298 Views)

I want both. I want to get a continuous generation to show it in a graph in LabVIEW until I press stop. Then I want to be able to get a part (or the whole) of that generated data points or at least the last view of the graph preferably exported to excel file. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,295 Views)