LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a 6DOF lumped parameter model in LabVIEW

Hi, 

I am trying to make a 6DOF lumped parameter (mass-spring-damper) model in LabVIEW where I can input different types excitation signals to any DOF and generate responses at any location desired. 

Would really appreciate it if someone can help. Thanks.

ksurdi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,153 Views)

Hi ksurdi,

Could you please explain a little more about your application?  Are you using any sort of hardware to do this?  Here are a few documents (One and two) of how customers have done applications with different degrees of freedom for different applications.  Hopefully this will get you started.

Thanks!

Kim W.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,141 Views)
Ksurdi,

You can either use LabVIEW MathScript RT module or LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module to implement your differential equations or state space equations.
Do you have the equations that you are trying to implement?
Andy Chang
National Instruments
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,130 Views)

Hi,

No I am not using any kinda of application to do this. I want to create a simple mass-damper-spring model where I can input simple force excitation signals generated in LabVIEW and generate responses at any DOF, like a simulation. I am looking at generating different response data out of the system for different types of input force signals. I have attached an example .jpg file of what kinda system that I want to create. 

I really appreciate your help on it. Thank you.

ksurdi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,124 Views)

Hi Andy,

No I do not have the equations currently. Would I need the equations for the Math Script?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,123 Views)

ksurdi,

Yes, you will need the equations.

Since you have the same basic elements repeated several times, I would skip the Math Script module.  In stead I would write a subVI which represented one of the spring-mass-damper blocks.  Its inputs would be the parameters of those elements: the input position (plus, possibly, velocity), and time interval.  The output would be the position and velocity at the other end. The algorithm would calculate the output position and velocity at the end of the time interval.

Wire up the subVIs to match the connections shown in your diagram.  Run until it ties itself in knots or reaches a steady state.  The main VI would need to create the force input.  It should also check to see if the program is doing something which violates the laws of physics or results in two parts of the system occupying the same space.

Does the system only move in one dimension or can it rotate as well as translate?

Do it all in native LabVIEW functions.  Learn LV. Learn how your model works. Have fun.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,114 Views)