LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create Exe From Data files

my requirement is very much similar to registration of file extension.
lets say if you have a file with extension .xyz then you can decide which program should invoke .xyz but instead of any other extension i need that extension of my file should be .exe
and when user double clicks on this exe files the file should get opened with my own program, but if the file is true .exe (i.e. Created by some other program) then it should not get invoked by my program...
i dont know how to do this but i know this is possible
e.g. Flash can create an exe files from their .swf files which when opened run using flash player (but it doesnt get fooled by any .exe file. also flash exe files have different icons)
similarly winzip can create self extracting exe files from .zip files
can anybody help me out

the files i am trying to create will have numeric data in spreadsheet format and when launched the player will show the data in animated format.

Tushar Jambhekar
tushar@jambhekar.com

Jambhekar Automation Solutions
LabVIEW Consultancy, LabVIEW Training
Rent a LabVIEW Developer, My Blog

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,842 Views)
I don't think you can, Windows knows if a file is an exe. Flash probably does something like LabVIEW when building executables, and needs an additional runtime.
The best you can do is look here

Ton
Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,831 Views)

Thanks

I already know the things explained in the link givenby you, but i want to do things with .exe files

i would appreciate if anybody can do some guesswork for me to solve the problems, then based on those ideas i can do some experimentaion

can i write a exe file which can read itself as binary file?

what will happen if i just append some data to the exe file?

Tushar Jambhekar
tushar@jambhekar.com

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,793 Views)

Hello Tushar,

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem.  Why can't you just make a very simple exe that simply launches your custom program?  In other words, your exe would simply launch your own application (whether it's LabVIEW or not) and then close itself.  The user would not even know that your program is being launched.  All that the user would see is when they double click the exe your program would open.

If you just start appending data to an exe file, you will corrupt the exe and it will no longer run.  I am about 99.9% sure you cannot re-define how an exe is launched in Windows.

Regards,
Justin D

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,771 Views)
i think i will briefly describe the things; what exactly i want to acheive
my client will have one application which will acquire data and log them into files. but he want to distibute these files to other people who will not have the application developed by me.
he wants that file should show the reports in specific way. but to see those reports end user should not be required to install any specific application.
i know that this thing is possible. as per msdn developer can include any data (text, graphics, audio, video etc.) inside exe in the form of resource file. (and there are programs are avaiable on internet which allow to extract, edit, add resource files inside exe)
what i dont know right now is how i can access the resource file inside exe

Tushar Jambhekar
tushar@jambhekar.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,759 Views)
Hi Tushar,

First of all, if you plan on building the exe that runs on a computer without the LabVIEW development environment, you will need the LabVIEW runtime engine.  This is a free component that can be downloaded from our website but it is something that they will have to install.  So, by definition, if you have a LabVIEW exe, they will need to install something.  I just want to make sure that you are clear on this.

I think that the easiest way to do what you are trying to do would be to create a program in LabVIEW which is a sort of "reader" for your custom files.  You could easily create an installer for the customer so that they can install your program, the LabVIEW runtime, and even register your own file extension with Windows.  This way, after they install, they can double click on a "MyFile.tushar" (or whatnot) and it will open with your application displaying whatever data you want them to see.

There is some good inforrmation on registering file extensions here:

Regards,
Justin D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,729 Views)