From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to control instron 5582 utm thru labview

hi all
i am student and new to labview.
as a part of my project, i need to control an instron 5582 universal testing machine(UTM) thru labview.
is this feasible? can it be done thru a daq card or gpib? any information regarding this will be useful since
i just have 5 mths to complete this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,519 Views)
Ah! Mr Bond...

I would contact Instron http://www.instron.co.uk/wa/products/universal_material/5580.aspx to see what your remote control options may be.

Also search the forum using keyword Instron as there has been previous discussion on the 5500 series.

Good luck!

David
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,515 Views)
Mr. Bond,

From the way it looks in the brochure for your Instron 558x, all of the data acquisition and control is built into the hardware. I also noticed that the hardware comes with its own software interface for displaying measurements and utilizing its functionality. If the whole system is integrated, there may be no point to interface with another software program (namely, LabVIEW).

You might try contacting the manufacturer or obtaining a more detailed user manual. Specifically, you are interested in whether the controls and measurements are exposed to the user. For example, there may be a simple connector through which you can control the instrument serially. Or the data acquisition done on the device may be accessible on an output port. Also, I would be quite surprised if the device was GPIB controllable.

Hopefully these can be a few questions to ask the manufacturer to try to use LabVIEW for control and data presentation. Good luck with your application!

Mike D.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,495 Views)