LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to control automation direct stepper motor (stp-drv-4850 and stp-mtrh-23079)

Hello,

I'm trying to use labview to control my Automation Direct, stepper motor (stp-mtrh-23079) with the stp-drv-4850 controller. Everything works fine in SureStep but when I try to send the same commands with Labview, I have problems. The motor does turn but the setup commands (eg AC5, DE5, VE2, FL20000) don't seem to have any effect. No matter what series of commands I send it, it always turns the same direction, the same number of times and at the same speed.

Please refer to the attached diagram.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Chad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,145 Views)

Hi Chad,

Do you getthe same behavior if you use hyperterminal or putty?

Joe Daily
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

may the G be with you ....
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(7,115 Views)

I am using a terminal program and the commands that I send through it work just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Chad

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,098 Views)

Hi Chad,

Check the you are using\ codes in your string. You can do this by right clicking on the string constant

Joe Daily
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

may the G be with you ....
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,078 Views)

I stumbled across this old thread when I was trying to solve the same problem with a STP-DRV-4850.  I finally ran Sure Step with a USB bus monitor running and discovered that when you open the SCL terminal, it sends the command "HR" to the driver, and when you close the terminal it sends a "QT".  I cannot find this documented anywhere, but it solved my problems.  Open a session with "HR" and all of the commands seem to work as documented.

Jim

LV 2020
Message 5 of 8
(6,684 Views)

Hi,

Did you ever figure out how to use the drive through the VISA test panel?

I have been trying by writing the serial commands to it (DI200, FL), but nothing happens on the drive's side although it says it is correctly reading/writing to it.

-Ron

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,410 Views)

RonV, 

This forum post is from 2011 so it would be a good idea to post another thread so you would get more traffic.

-KP

Kurt P
Automated Test Software R&D
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,391 Views)

I am trying to control a STP-MTDR-23065 using the USB485-4W adapter from AuotmationDirect using the Simple Serial VI, but all I get is with any command I try is that the motor will step with the velocity and direction of the last command I use in the SureMotion Pro software in SCL mode.

There seems to be a solution to this, https://endigit.com/2017/6/secret-combination-unlocking-automationdirect-stepper-motors-labview#comm...

but I don't have the full VI.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,493 Views)