LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to control adressable leds WS2812b

I am working on a school project where I need to control WS2812B LEDs. These are addressable LEDs.

During the project, it seemed easier to drive the LEDs with an Arduino and control that Arduino from LabVIEW. Meanwhile, I have some doubts about this way of working, because I can't get the leds to turn on. To be exact: I can turn them on and off via the Arduino Uno, but I cannot turn them on in LabVIEW via the Arduino.

Therefore I have two questions, for which I hope very much that someone can help me:
1) is it a good idea to control these leds from LabVIEW via an Arduino and does anyone have an example program for that?
2) does anyone have any other suggestions (preferably a not too expensive solution with an example program) on how I could also connect these leds to LabVIEW?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(735 Views)

Hi Walid,

@AsbaguiWalid wrote:

1) is it a good idea to control these leds from LabVIEW via an Arduino and does anyone have an example program for that?

I think it's a good idea to use an Arduino to drive those LEDs: you surely found ready-to-use software libraries for them! (Did you?)

Now all you need to add is some simple (virtual) serial communication after connecting the Arduino to your computer. On LabVIEW side you use VISARead/Write with the virtual COM port you get from your Arduino, on Arduino you add some serial.read commands...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(701 Views)