LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to acquire distance data out of Ultrasonic sensor via USB(RAW)

hi,

I am trying extract the distance data from ultrasonic sensor via USB. I hava already read a couple of documents concerning that such as http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4478/en/ . I found out that it is a USBRAW class. as it is stated in the document I turned to manufacturer in order to get some help about commands and comm. protocol but unfourtanely they know nothing about concerned problem.

What else can I do in order to communicate with the sensor via USB and Is it necessaary having a type B connector in USB for controlling the sensor in labview.

I attached an image of VI but get no response out of it 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,118 Views)

Is there any user manual regarding this Ultrasonic sensor? If there search the communication section and commands to send inorder to get the output. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,092 Views)

What is the model for the sensor? 

What ports are on the sensor? 

Are you sure that it can be used with USB? 
Normally a sensor like that does not work directly with USB, but need som extra hardware. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,090 Views)

Thanks for replies..

The brand  is pepperl fuchs and as output I have options 4.. 20mA and 0..10 however for that I will need a DAQ modules which I am not intersted in because of extra cost. the sensor comes with its own software program and there is adapter for USB from RS-232.. That is reason why I want to try to conenct first with USB port. if they can acquire data in USB port there should be a way as well to do the communication in Labview  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,059 Views)

If the company provides its own software, they may be using a proprietary protocol to handle the raw USB traffic.  If you don't want to invest in DAQ devices to input the analog signals from this sensor, you may need to develop your own set of low-level drivers for raw USB.  Good luck.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,052 Views)