LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how i know any instrument is connected to the serial port

hi

i am using serial port to get data..where i want to know that whethere the instrument is connected or disconnected before data transfer .. i want to dispaly the status ....any plz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indrajit

| indrajitbarve@gmail.com | indar_indar2005@yahoo.co.in .
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,334 Views)

Hi indrajit,

i am using serial port to get data..where i want to know that whethere the instrument is connected or disconnected before data transfer .. i want to dispaly the status ....any plz

To determine whether your PC is correctly cabled to the instrument, you'll probably want to send a command to the device, then read a response.  Before you can do that, you'll need to know some basic info like what baud-rate, data-bits, stop-bits, and parity ("flow-control" is typically "none".)

Assuming the device uses text (ASCII) commands and responses, Windows' "Hyperterminal" is a good tool for proving the connection is good.  If you can't do it in Hyperterminal, you probably won't in LabVIEW.  Configure a connection in Hyperterminal and try to communicate with the instrument, once that works, develop a utility in LabVIEW to do the same simple query.  Post back with more questions! Smiley Wink

Cheers!:

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,323 Views)
thanks tbd

ok i will folllow ur lines ,,,then i am having some doubts not in serial port .. i will ask u later. thanks a lot..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indrajit

| indrajitbarve@gmail.com | indar_indar2005@yahoo.co.in .
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,306 Views)