LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you set amplitude of pulse train?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have successfully downloaded and executed the sample program shown here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/2991/en

and see the pulse train generate in my oscilloscope.  When measuring the value of a pulse high, the oscilloscope says 5V. 

How do I change it to 3?

Looking at the DAQ Create Channel node I don't see any inputs for amplitude, only frequency and duty cycle.

Where is the amplitude of 5volts being set and how can I change it to 3V?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,434 Views)

I think is not possible... The voltage limit of the pulse generation depends on the board...  so you have to look at the board datasheet. Which model of board are you using?

Ricky
Italian Developer engineer
www.www.selt-sistemi.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,426 Views)

You will probably have to level shift with more hardware. 5V to 3.3V level shifter circuits are fairly common.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,420 Views)

Hi Ricky - 

I am using the DAQ 6259 board.  Do you think pg. 11 is relevant? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,400 Views)

Why would page 11 be relevant? The only reason it mentions 3.3V is to tell you how much current it draws from the host bus on the 3.3V line.

Digital outputs on your device are 5V. It is not a setting you can change.

You could theoretically load the the output channel with a resistor to ground, which would pull down the voltage by increasing current, but I strongly recommend against it. Do it properly by inserting a level-shifting circuit.

Message 5 of 8
(3,395 Views)

Usually I solved this problem with an external transistor, the board leads the transistor with the 0-5V pulse train and the Vcc of the transistor is set to 3.3V. I think it is the easyest and the safetyly way to transform the level of the pulse train.

Ricky
Italian Developer engineer
www.www.selt-sistemi.com
Message 6 of 8
(3,382 Views)

Hi Nathand, and Ricky - 

Do you guys think this website:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-3545

Could help me? I noticed there is a minimum and maximum value passed in to the Analog Output function.  

I could set the minimum = 0V and maximum = 3V.

I will also look into the level shifter and transistor ideas.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,367 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author invasion2121

Sure, you can generate an analog waveform at whatever amplitude you want (within the range of what the board supports), but the counter/timer output is much more appropriate for generating a PWM signal.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,363 Views)