LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I take a top level VI and pull all VIs it calls?

I am trying to save a top level VI with all the VIs it calls.  In older versions of labview, you could create an llb and save them all in there.  How do you do it with LV8?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,576 Views)
Hi Steve,

This is still possible in LabVIEW 8. When you right-click on build specifications in the project explorer window, you have the option to create a new source distribution. This will send all VIs in the hierarchy of your project to a folder that you specify.

If you would like the source distribution to be an llb file, you will need to go to the Distribution Settings window of the build specification, then under Packaging Option, select "custom". Then, fill in the desired directory and check the box that says "Destination is LLB." This will put the top level VI and subVIs inside an llb; simply creating a source distribution will put both of them into a specified folder.

Have a great day!
Message 2 of 5
(2,563 Views)
Sam, thanks for the help.  I am still getting some "Find the VI named xyz" dialog prompts.  I presume because there are VIs (AI I/O) that I need that were not included in the build.  Please advise, thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,552 Views)

@SteveCheuk wrote:
Sam, thanks for the help.  I am still getting some "Find the VI named xyz" dialog prompts.  I presume because there are VIs (AI I/O) that I need that were not included in the build.  Please advise, thanks.

In the dialog to setup the source distribution, there are a couple check boxes to include or exclude some of the standard LabVIEW VIs.

In the Distribution Settings section, you'll see three check boxes named "Exclude vi.lib", "Exclude user.lib" and "Exclude instr.lib". Having the "vi.lib" box checked will will exclude all the VIs that ship with LabVIEW or get installed with a driver package or add on module. This includes the DAQ VIs which sounds like what you are missing.

However, just unchecking this box probably will not make the application run. The actual DAQ driver needs to be installed on the other machine. Once you get all the correct drivers installed, you should not need to include the "vi.lib" VIs. This is the normal way to distribute code.

The "user.lib" is the directory under LabVIEW where you normally keep all your re-usable VIs. This you'd probably want to include in the distribution unless you have all the same user.lib files on both machines. "instr.lib" is where LabVIEW keeps the instrument drivers you download.

So in short, make sure you have all the same drivers installed on both machines and download any instrument drivers you're using. Then just leave the "Exclude user.lib" box unchecked.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 4 of 5
(2,532 Views)
Thanks Edwin for the help.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,486 Views)