LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I distribute an executable from Labview 8.6

I have Labview 8.6, Professional Development version. I want to know when I create an EXE file and then want to run it from a computer that does NOT have Labview installed, what support files will I need? What directory will I find them in on the computer with Labview installed? And what directory will I need to put them in on the computer that does not have Labview on it?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(4,684 Views)
well after you biuld your EXE you can biuld the application installer which will include the LV 8.6 runtime... so if you want to distribute your software you should do that... else you will have to include the LV 8.6 runtime installed on every computer that uses your application....
Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(4,684 Views)

If your application uses DLLs other than those of Windows, they ll be put in a folder called 'data' just inside the folder where you create your EXE/Installer. Make sure that you place it in a similar hierarchy in the target if you just install the EXE alone. If you create the installer, you can specify the location of the folder in the build paths somewhere during the creation of the installer, so that when you run it, it ll automatically unbundle all the(se) folders & place them in the locations specified already.

For folders other than the 'data' also, you can specify desired locations to be placed in the target, when the installer is run...

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(4,674 Views)

How do I make an installer package? Do I have to make one with external software like InstallShield? Or does labview do this when you make the EXE file to start with? Or does labview have a separate feature to do this? Please explain?

Also, in what directroy do I find the runtime/redistributable files? Are they in C:\Program Files\ National Instruments\whatdirectory? And which runtime files are absolutely needed, versus needed only for some features?

Also, if I use serial port control (which I hear uses NI's VISA drivers rather than the default Microsoft drivers) do I have to include additional files? Or is that VISA driver for serial control old now, such that VISA is only used for specialized equipment now?
Message Edited by Ben321 on 05-16-2009 10:28 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(4,622 Views)

Ben321 wrote:

How do I make an installer package? Do I have to make one with external software like InstallShield? Or does labview do this when you make the EXE file to start with? Or does labview have a separate feature to do this? Please explain?

You create an installer in a similar way you create an application. It's all built into the LabVIEW project.

Details

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(4,613 Views)

In what directroy do I find the runtime/redistributable files? Are they in C:\Program Files\ National Instruments\whatdirectory? And which runtime files are absolutely needed, versus needed only for some features?

Also, if I use serial port control (which I hear uses NI's VISA drivers rather than the default Microsoft drivers) do I have to include additional files? Or is that VISA driver for serial control old now, such that VISA is only used for specialized equipment now?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(4,573 Views)

The location of the installer is listed in the  appropriately named 'Installer destination' box on the Product Information page. Did you try to create an installer yet?

The files you require will depend on your application. At a minimum, you need the LabVIEW runtime. The built in serial functions obviously use VISA so you would need NI-VISA runtime. VISA is hardly obsolete. The 'specialized' equipment is only serial, GPIB, VXI, PXI, Ethernet, and USB.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(4,563 Views)

You have yet to answer this question.

Where do I find the find the files that will be needed to be distributed when I give someone my EXE file? I know it will have dependancies, so those dependancies (a.k.a. runtime files) must already be SOMEWHERE on the harddrive of my computer that has Labview installed already. What directory can I find the runtime files in?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(4,496 Views)

Do you really care? When you select the additional installers, the files will be pulled from a cached location such as the LabVIEW runtime or from the LabVIEW installation DVD. The expected location is given when you select one of the additional installers in the Installer Source Location box. Have you actually tried creating an installer yet?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(4,489 Views)
I need to know because I want to do it the simple way. Find ALL the runtime files for Labview then put'm in a zip file and be done with it. Then once I put the EXE file I've compiled on another computer,  I just unzip the complete runtime files out of that ZIP file and put them in the same directory as the EXE file. This would mean NEVER having to hassle with configuring an installer, which sounds like a complete waste of time. "Unzip and go. NEVER install." is my motto.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(4,481 Views)