From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i use ni6008 to switch ON/ OFF the power supply

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have ni60008 and DC power supply and DUT.

Aim of my project is to reset the DUT by switching OFF and ON the power supply 12 to 24v DC.

My question is , how can i switch ON and OFF the power supply (mim 12vDC) using ni6008.

Could you please help me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(3,779 Views)
What is the power supply and how are you supposed to switch it off? Are you asking about a control signal or something? This would be in the power supply's manual. Or, are you asking about how to control a relay that switches the power on/off?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(3,770 Views)

hi,

i want to send a command fron labview program to turn off or on the power supply MP3086

through ni6008.

is it possible to do ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(3,765 Views)
I'm not familiar with that power supply. You said you want to send a command. Does it actually have a communication interface, or does it just have some sort of analog control or perhaps open jumpers that you close to turn on/off the supply? Do you have a manual? What does it say?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(3,756 Views)

Without a manual it is hard to say. But perhaps you can get a another power controllable from remote in some way for your school project

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(3,731 Views)
It wont be done by a single command by Labview. This PSU seems to have no external control-inputs. You will have to modify the hardware. Perhaps a relay in the supply line (controlled using a digital port) will do the job switching the DUT on and off. 
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(3,727 Views)
How much current do you need? Perhaps with your PM3086 and a LM317(placed on a cooling fin) controlled by the daq unit can make something work for you.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(3,725 Views)
Sorry I think I misunderstood your problem. If you want to switch on/off the DUT a realy should do the job. But you will probably need a transistor used a switch. Since the 6008 can not deliver enough current for controlling a relay.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(3,714 Views)

hi,

Thank you for your reply.

let me explain in detail about my project.

I am using 3rd party usbCAN , DUT, 12v DC power supply cable with 50mA current. I am sending /receiving SDO messages from the DUT.

I have few specifications in my test, which needs to switch OFF and ON the DUT to read the correct data back from the DUT, because after switching OFF/On the power, DUT reboots and reinitialises. which i am doing now by switching OFF/ON the power.

which i dont want to do. I want to do it automatically by using labview.

And i have no idea ,how to use relay 9481, because i dont have ni daq to insert the relay. hoe it will switch OFF/ON the power?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(3,689 Views)

Nobody mentioned the 9481, so I don't know how that came into play. Are you saying you have one of these, or are you asking if that's what you need to use? If you have one then it can be used as the relay to connect/disconnect power to the DUT. If not, is this something that someone suggested to you, or something you found on your own? Either way, it's way overkill. As mentioned, if the power supply has no communication interface, and no other means of control and/or activation via a connector, then the only thing you can do is to use a relay to connect/disconnect power to the DUT. You need to select an appropriate relay to handle the voltage and current, and you need to be able to control the relay. Typically this is done via a simple relay driver, such as a transistor, though there are other means.

If you do a search in this forum on controlling relays you'll find lots of hits, as this question comes up a lot. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(3,683 Views)