LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i control a puma robot using LABVIEW

the robot i have is puma 200 series controlled by val/valII operating system , if we can control it what are the cards needed for it
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,532 Views)
Allred,

Based on the information I found on the Web regarding the Puma 200 Series robot, it looks like the robot uses the LSI-11 controller, which is the computer running the robot. If there is a way to access some I/O ports on the computer, it is conceivable to use a digital port (or even a serial port, if available) to pass control and feedback signals between LabVIEW and the robot. With LabVIEW, you can write your program to send and receive data through a variety of ways (serial port, parallel port, or via the digital input/output or analog input/output functionality of a multifunction I/O data acquistion board). The limitation is most likely going to be on the robot, and what input/output is available with the robot.

http://www.ar2.com/ar2pages
/spec200.html

This web page seems to suggest you can obtain optional accessories for the robot with the statement "I/O module (8 input/8 output signals, isolated ac/dc levels) up to 32 I/O capacity", which presumably you can program the robot to perform certain actions based on the I/O data. If you had a data acquistion board with digital lines, you could connect it up to Puma I/O module and send data between the robot and LabVIEW. If this is the path you wish to pursue, depending on your application specifications, probably any NI data acquisition board with digital lines will meet your needs. You can visit ni.com/products to find out more information about NI data acquistion products, or contact an NI sales representative.

Hope this helps!

Wilbur Shen
Web Support and Operations
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,532 Views)