From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I use external clock to implement a delay?

Hi all,

I am testing to use external clock to drive dev/PFI0 (on device 6711) which is used as the clock for the analog ouput. I have thinking two applications by using the external clock but I don't have much idea on the implementation yet.

First of all, I have a sequence of data (array) with each sample being sent at the interval of 1us. I use an external clock (10MHz) driving the PFI0 so it is pretty easy to achieve that goal. I am thinking what happen if I want each sampel being sent at different time. For example, if I have 5 samples, I want the first one sent 1us after the task start and wait 2us to send the 2nd sample, wait 5us to send the 3rd sample and wait 11 us to send the 4th sample, and wait 1us to send the last sample. Is it possible to achieve that based on the external clock?

Second question is about the delay. My code require ciritcal timing and the builtin delay doesn't behave very well because I am running in windows. I can increase the priority of the vi to highest, it helps a bit but still not perfect. I am thinking if it is possible to implement hardward delay based on the external clock. Any idea?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,455 Views)

Hello dragondriver,

To answer your first question, yes you could send data in that fashion. You would have to programmatically build a pulse train and use that to trigger the sending of data. The answer to the second question is essentially the same. You should be able to programmatically build a pulse train with a delay and use it as trigger to begin whatever operation you have.

Jonathan L.
Technical Support Senior Group Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,338 Views)