LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can I achieve client control of server having VI over a network?

I want to run a RS485 based VI on a blind server. The client PC must be

able to see and control the front panel (the client has the runtime engine

only installed).

I have tried to use the labVIEW web server, and have followed the steps

outlined in the help files also a ltrpub document (on the devzone).

I am only able to see the htm document without the embedded front panel.

What should I be doing to achieve my desired goal, can webserver give me

this control or should I be tackling the problem by another method?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,595 Views)

How about a client that uses the VI reference to the remote vi to place its front panel in a subpanel on the client?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,580 Views)

Hi Mike,

Sounds great,

I run LV6.1 (full dev) and this is my first venture into networking with LV. The client has only the run-time engine installed, would this prevent using the vi reference?

By sub panel do you mean something like a VBasic GUI?

Do you know of any code or document that would demonstrate this?

sorry you are dealing with a Welsh electronics engineer trying to be a softie!! 

Thanks

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,575 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,564 Views)

Hi MarkLee,

I couldn't see your message, please try again

Tkon
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,553 Views)
Hi Tkon,

Webserver should give you all the functionality you need to view and control your VI remotely!

I know you've already been through a step by step guide, but I would go back and check whether you have:

1) Enabled the Web Server in the Web Server:Configuration page of the Options dialogue box (which you can get to from the Tools menu) -
The root directory should point to your LabVIEW\www directory (for example: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW\www)
2) Configured all the browsers you wish to have access to the VI on the Web Server: Browser Access page (or use * for all)
3) Configured all the VIs you wish to publish in the Web Server: Visible VIs page of Options (or use * to make all in the memory available)
4) Check that the port you are using for the connection (which you can see in Web Server Configuration) is not blocked in any way (ie: by a router, firewall etc...)
5) Run the web publishing tool and saved the document to disk.

If you are still having problems, go to your web browser and type in http://localhost. If you do not get an error, it indicates that you have another web server running. Microsoft Peer Web Services is an example of another web server that might be running. If so, you will need to either disable the server, or change the port of the LabVIEW web server.

Please post if this helps, or if you are still having problems!

Best wishes,

Mark
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,548 Views)