LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home license

It matters very much. The 3 installation (including 1 for home), is part of the personal license. You need to contact the admin of the volume license in order to get a new install.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 19
(1,058 Views)

The Activate/Deactivate options are only available when a license phones home to NI.  If you entered the license serial in the form of A11A11111 it will then need to contact NI.com to ensure that this license can be used.  Similar to how Windows will need to authenticate a license when you first install Windows.

If you are using a Volume License Agreement you aren't entering a serial instead you are applying a license that the system administrator made for that computer, or for that user (it can be either).  So you didn't have an option to Deactivate because you never Activated instead you installed a license, and all you could do is uninstall.  Sorry to give inaccurate information, but you left out a few details, that you didn't know were important.

Message 12 of 19
(1,029 Views)

Thanks everyone. I was really hoping this would be easy....

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,002 Views)

Well, essentially it is easy.

Hoovah correctly pointed out that the information about the VLA was plainly missing in the first instance. So everyone *assumed* that you was handling a single license with a local activation.

If your admin of the VLA is a nice person, it shouldn't be a problem to get an updated license file. The important thing is that you need to pass the information on the computer ID to the admin (or, possibly, some other information on your private PC to create the license).

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(981 Views)

I have the same question, and I do have a personal (not VLA) license; but my caveot is that the home computer that is being replaced is dead.  Since it will no longer boot, I cannot run the NI License Manager to perform the deactivation.  So now what are my options?

Thanks,

~Tim
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(946 Views)
Call your local Sales Engineer or NI.
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(940 Views)

Possibly if the hard drrive is still functional you could remove that and try booting off it in another computer, the data should all still be intact, unless it is the harddrive which is gone in which case NI is you only hope.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(933 Views)

Another thing to know is that there is no "network contingent" for personal license not running in a VLA. So essentially, you do not need to de-activate the license from the dead computer.

Nevertheless, the EULA (end user license agreement) for a personal license you implicitely accept by activating the license states clearly that you only may:

- Activate up to THREE computer with the license in the company you work with and up to ONE private computer

- When activating a PRIVATE computer using that license, you must not create applications you sell on your own. You might work on stuff for the company which bought the license for you or do some private stuff.

- If you activate a computer, YOU are the only person using that product on that computer

- Only one computer might be used with that product at a time. So if moving from one PC to the next for using that product (e.g. from development machine to another for debugging), you have to close the product on the first PC

NI has a lot of confidence that most users follow that EULA quite well. But there already have been cases of abuse in the past and NI will take steps for follow up on that if there is a reasonable suspicion.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(908 Views)

>> essentially, you do not need to de-activate the license from the dead computer <<

Thanks Norbert, I thought that might be the case, and I appreciate the confirmation.  Yes, the reason for the old computer being "dead" is due to a HDD failure of the boot drive, so zero chance now of ever resurecting it.  It was seven years old, so was overdue for replacing anyway.  I'm about to find out how well I can use LabVIEW on a Microsoft Surface Pro 2.

I very much appreciate the way NI grants us the right to install a copy at home.  I for one do not ignore the EULA rules on home use, and I hope that others do the same; otherwise a small number of abusers may cause us all to loose the privledge.  Smiley Mad

Tim

~Tim
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(882 Views)