From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hierachy view: pin symbols

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there,

I got a question on the hierarchy view window…

When I look at the VI hierarchy of my current RT project I get pin symbols on my VIs:

check.png(part of the VI hierarchy)

What are they good for? Why are some pins in top view and others in side view?

The help for the VI hierarchy mentions a lot of symbols, but no pins (atleast in LV2014SP1)…

To assist in answering this question: those little "NAN-INF" icons show instances of a polymorphic VI.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,863 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author GerdW

I believe the pins tell which VIs are loaded on the RT target.

If you run a VI, LV downloads all of the VIs and runs them. When you stop the running VI, at look at the hiearchy you will see all fo the pins in "top view". Modify one VI and the pin for that VI will show you it will have to be downloaded to the RT.

In your image it looks like a sub-VI changed and as a result the VI using that SUB_VI will also have to be downloaded.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 3
(2,814 Views)

Thanks ben,

this sounds reasonable.

I wish I could find this in the LabVIEW help too!

In your image it looks like a sub-VI changed and as a result the VI using that SUB_VI will also have to be downloaded.

Well, those VIs ("NAN-INF" icon) are parts of a polymorphic VI with only one instance of polymorphism used in the RT. The other instance isn't used and the "main" polymorph VI (the one that just collects all the instances and defines the icon) isn't deployed…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,779 Views)