From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hi, can someone help me how can i connected my multimeter to my pc with rs232, because my computer can´t recognize the device, i mean the multimeter, is a multimeter keithley serie 2400, and i already downloaded all the drivers for labview even the VISA

hi, can someone help me how can i connected my multimeter to my pc with rs232, because my computer can´t recognize the device, i mean the multimeter, is a multimeter keithley serie 2400, and i already downloaded all the drivers for labview even the VISA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,953 Views)

We really cannot do much with that limited description.

Does your PC have a true RS-232 port or are you using an adapter from USB to RS-232? What brand of adapter is it? Have you installed the adapter driver?

Generally the computer will not recognize RS-232 devices. You need to actually configure the port correctly for the device and attempt to communicate with it.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,950 Views)

is a rs232 male and female, but how can i configure the port correctly?. because i want to transfer all the data that my multimeter just read to a software in my pc

thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,942 Views)

Marco,

Here are some suggestions:

1) Check the manual the Keithley manual to see how to configure the RS-232.   

On some models you need set Factory defaults to USER and turn on the RS-232.   

Also there may be a setting for SCPI which you want on (probably on by default).

2) On your PC - open Device Manager. See if a COM port exists and is functional.

You must get this working before continuing.

You can set the COM port parameters by right clicking and selecting Properties.  

(On some PCs the onboard ports can be disabled in the BIOS)

3) If step two was OK, open MAX (Measurement and Automation eXplorer).      

On the left side, click on Devices and Hardware.   

Click on Serial and Parallel.   

Go to the COM port you found in Device Manager.   

Open a VISA Test Panel.

Now I don't have one I can look at right now, so this is general idea:

Configure the COM port to match the Keithley settings (should be OK if step 2 worked)  

Go to the (I think) Input Output tab (you want to send a command)   

The command string input should already have a *IDN? entered, if not, type it in.   

Click on the Query button to send the command and check the response.  

If you get an ID string back (Company name, Model, FW Version ...) then it works.   

(Disregard an error saying it did not get enough charcters back.) 

I hope this helps,

steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,924 Views)