From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with regular cpu usage spike

im running a VI thats reading data off a mouse through a VISA driver. i get these strange spikes in cpu usage which are regular at ~12-13 second intervals, which i haven't got a clue as to the cause.

any ideas??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,562 Views)
Download sysinternals process explorer from Microsoft. It will give more details about the processusing CPU. You don't say its your labview app causing this spike so process explorer is a good place to start.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,533 Views)

hi,

thanks for the reply! although i will check with sysinternals, i am almost certain it is labview - it is also only this particular VI, which reads from an optical mouse through a VISA driver where i see this regular spiking in usage.

i should also say, this problem seemingly appeared out of nowhere - for months this VI had been running very smoothly, but then i reinstalled the VISA driver at some point, and since then, this spiking in cpu usage has occurred...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,524 Views)
Possibly a Windows update? IT update? This could be an interaction between drivers / services. You could try running small sections of your code to identify the problem, and post your code if you have any other questions.
Good luck
Michael
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,504 Views)

Antivirus scanning your visa drivers? Try turning it off for a while.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,498 Views)
That was my thought too...
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,495 Views)

hi all,

thanks for the suggestions. ive looked with sysinternals, and it appears to be a very minor increase in labview cpu usage - i closed all antivirus related processes, and the spike still continues, so it doesn't appear to be that...

ive attached the vi, in case its some stupid coding issue..

apologies for being so ignorant, but how would i go about checking if it's some issue caused by a windows update or whatnot..

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,483 Views)

ok, so i have made very little progress, but i have come to the conclusion that the issue is the optical mouse position, which is being read through a VISA driver, is issuing these regular system interrupts. it also appears to be something specific to the particular mouse i'm using, as when i switch to a different model of mouse, this problem is gone. 

anyone have any ideas why a particular mouse is causing such intensive system interrupts??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,415 Views)