LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help to create a custom virtual worlds for robotics simulator

Solved!
Go to solution

help me to create a custom virtual worlds for robotics simulator 2011 and it don't be the predefined ;   I'm programmer of labview , but  I don't of virtual environments ,  i'm experimenting  with the starter KIT and the single BOARD -RIO 9631

Ing. Jonathan E. Cruz Ortiz

ENERGÍA PROACTIVA S.A.S

Cel : (+57) 3173669343 - (+57) 3124451894

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(11,298 Views)

Hi jokelnice,

In LVR 2011, if you want to create your own environment model, please first look at this VI <LVR2011>\examples\robotics\Simulator\Goalkeeper\Create Manifest File.vi. It defines how to use scripting to generate a simulation profile(XML file). The following picture shows how to define the environment.

Customize Envrionment.JPG

The Goalkeeper Example.ive file is exported from Google SketchUp. LabVIDEW can load and render the visual model in LV 3D picture control.

The Goalkeeper Example.stl file is the mesh file of the vsual model. LabVIDEW can load and create a model for collision detection and other physical simulation features.

If you want to create a new environment model, you need to draw it in a third-party CAD tool, such as Google SketchUp/SolidWorks, and then export as .dae file and .stl file. Then you can use LabVIEW 2011\vi.lib\robotics\Simulator\Interface\Utility\Converter\CAD Model Converter.vi to convert the .dae model to .ive model. Then please copy these two model into \LabVIEW 2011\resource\robotics\simulator\CADModels\environment\, and update the paths showed in the picture. Run the Create Manifest File.vi and you will get an updated xml file.  When you run the example, you will see the new environment.

Again, this is a pretty complex way. We realized the limitation and are working on the direction of enabling user to customize robots/environments easily. Please let me know if you have any question.

Message 2 of 10
(3,620 Views)

Hi Superjing

did you made progress in enabling the user to customize robots/environments easily? Or where can i find a tutorial/manual for this?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,620 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jokelnice

In the coming release, we will include a tool called Model Builder for users to create customized environment/robot.  I encourage you to sign up for our LabVIEW 2012 Beta program to learn about all the upcoming features.  To register, submit a request through www.ni.com/beta.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,620 Views)

When were exporting the .dae and .stl file from scetch up, what export units should we use when creating thouse files?

meters, inches, feet?

As when I finish the exporting and converting procces,

I see the little icreate sample bot the size of a pen head on the floor.

I'm working with a filed the size of the IGVC couce,

but I was sure to put a ruler or scale refrince in the map

and the icreate is still way smaller than an inch by scale.

Also, what "template" unit/size do you start out with in sketchup?

meters, inches, feet, milimeters?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,620 Views)

Hi Ruff, the unit of dae file exported from scetchup is inch. So you should draw your model with the actual size in inch. In the coming release we will convert all the units of dae files to meter and import the model into our model builder so actually you do not need to worry about the unit convertion.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,620 Views)

Cool!

I've got another one then:

How can I map a image to a surface properly so its expoted to the final modle.

I was able to make a dashed line course with trafic barrel and snow fencing.

However when seen in the 3d viewer in LabVIEW, the picture of the lines on the coure are missing,

but all the colors of the opsticals are fine.

I've noticed that is posible because in the samples you have the NI logo and surfice textures.

Is there an exporting difrince in the use of

an imported .png image method vs using textures types?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,620 Views)

Capture.PNG

Hi Ruff, you need to check your dae export option above. If your model has the texture it should not be missed in LV 3d picture control. We promise not miss the model's original texture.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,620 Views)

Just checked my setting there,

found it options button next in the save prompt when exporting the 3d model and saw that my defaults where the same as you listed above.

I'm thinking you may have used textured stile approach to giving your models color and patterns.

I could send you my model of the field.

I fear that the scale from start to finish is quite confusing as I had started the model in feet, switched to meters, and then later scaled the model by a conversion factor of meters to inches.

It's appears to scale in the sim, but is darn small to work with in sketch up.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,620 Views)

Hello superjing,

I'm a Spanish student from the University of Huelva and I'm actually using Labview 2011. In my research I need to simulate a Robot with a Kinect sensor for a SLAM problem and use the information obtained to apply it in a real laboratory with a real robot. Do you think I could simulate a similar environment using Robotics Module in Labview 2011 or It will be easier to do it in Labview 2012? And in that case, How could I get a Labview 2012 temporal License for this porpose?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,620 Views)