LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

has anyone developed a MUX-1553 interface reader

I'm working a program to read the message table from a MUX1553 aircraft interface bus. The table consists of transmit and receive messages that must be decoded from Hex and then to voltage or Boolean indicator. Each message can contain up to 30 words and the data can consist of bit, word or double word. I'm building a tool to read each line of the message table (up to 500,000 lines or more) decode the message and display into the appropriate indicators/graphs. I'm asking for ideas to display the decoded message table in a playback format (Play, FF, Rewind, pause, search etc.) The table is quite extensive and any existing tools that I could modify would be appreciated.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,575 Views)
Hey jdam!

So you have all of the decoding taken care of and you are just looking for ideas about displaying the message?  I am not familiar with the MUX-1553 but if you explain a little more about what you would like to occur for each button, I would be glad to help as much as I can.

Looking forward to hearing more about your application!
Andy F.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,567 Views)

Do you mean the MIL-STD-1553 bus?

If so, you will need a MIL-STD-1553 card. At my previous job, they used two different brands.

I preferred the Ballard Technology's card and its LabVIEW drivers.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,558 Views)

Andy F.

Thanks for the reply. I'll attempt to provide additional information without getting data specific.

The Mil-STD-1553 mux  is the communications traffic bus between the A/C and the loaded accessories.

The Mux bus sends and receives messages concerning system status. I have the message traffic table which is comprised of up to 30 different Transmit/Receive messages and each message has up to 32 data words although each message may not use all 32. For the different Transmit/Receive messages each word must be decoded from Hex to Binary and then to the respective status. In some words , each bit (0 false, 1 true) will represent a hardware status condition with up to 16 different status conditions.  In the same message, some signals are comprised of a single or double word to represent a single data point (voltage, Lat, Long, Velocity etc.)

example msg xxT word 1 is a header. The word contains 4 hex digits with 4 bits per digit.

In xxT word 2, there are 16 hardware status conditions with each bit providing a true/false.

and in xxT words 03/04 comprise one signal data point. (2's complimentary-signed binary)

Since the messages are sent sequentially with an IRIG time stamp, I must read each line of the file, determine if the message is a xxT or yyR etc. decode the message and place into a new table. The new table will have different fields for each different message and some message fields will be unique to that message others will overlap

Example

Msg    IRIG         Header    HW     Vel        pos

55T    65111.8    0200                              36.54 deg

33R    65111.9    1300        T       750m/s

What I'm looking to build is a replay system for the decoded table. I'd like to have LabView read and decode each message and write into the new table in read order (working on this now). Once in the new table, I'd like to be able to play the table from the beginning, pausing where desired or using a FF/REW mode to scan for a condition in the table. The front panel will consist of indicator lights for each message that will change as their particular message transitions from true false or additional data are added to the time v. amplitude plots. I'd also like to be able to input an IRIG time and have the display jump to this time.

There are too many messages to display on a single front panel so I'm building sub displays that can be called and closed when requested by the user.

In the past, our group has always relied upon reems of paper printout to determine the state of the system over time.

I was interested in finding out if any other tools exist for the Mux 1553 or if there are any other ideas that I could utilize in the presentation of the data.

Your thoughts and experience are appreciated.

Thanks

jdam

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,555 Views)

Yes it is the MIL-STD-1553 bus, but reading the interface is not the problem. Presenting the decoded message table in a user friendly format is what I'm seeking. I was hoping that someone else had already tackled this problem and I could learn from their experience.

Any ideas for presenting the data after it is downloaded?

jdam

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,555 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,548 Views)

Hi jdam,

I'm looking to write a 1553 driver from scratch and I'm hoping your work may be of help.  Did you end-up purchasing a solution, or did you develop your own 1553 device-interface VIs? (that you might share???)

Thanks! 

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,402 Views)

Sorry tbd - no driver work.

I've been decoding data files from the 1553 into a visual format. There are some products out there but I haven't had the opportunity to purchase or play.

Good luck on your driver development.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,385 Views)

Thanks for the reply jdam.

Found the DDC device came with an extremely crude [but functional] set of example VIs.  Using the "Monitor Mode", am building a buss-sniffer/logger now.

Cheers!

"Inside every large program is a small program struggling to get out." (attributed to Tony Hoare)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,363 Views)