LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generating -/+ voltage with NI-USB 6009

Hello NI forum :). It's nice to join such a community 🙂

I hope you will be able to help me...

Is it possible to generate with 6009 card output signals outside 0 - +5V range?

I successfully generated a differential signal to run galvo by connecting my 6009 to a computer.  On AOO I generate a 0 - +5V signal and on AO1 constant 0V.

Is it possible to change this configuration/ add something to a program program and to generate differential -10 + 10V signal

(especially since the card accepts such input range?)

Thank you in advance for your help

Joanna

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,041 Views)

Hi Liiung,

@Liiung wrote:

Is it possible to generate with 6009 card output signals outside 0 - +5V range?

No.

The USB6009 works exactly as written in the SpecSheet

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(2,001 Views)

<nodding her head with sadnes>

I had hoped some clever trick exist...

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,993 Views)

Its successor, the USB-6002, has AO capabilities of ±10 V.

Bob Schor

Message 4 of 6
(1,987 Views)

@Liiung wrote:

<nodding her head with sadnes>

I had hoped some clever trick exist...

Thank you!

Assuming you are trying to create a sine wave, here's a trick to try...

Pass the 0-5v output through a capacitor and then an opamp to amplify it to +/-10V.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 5 of 6
(1,940 Views)

Well, if you're going to get "clever" like that, you can also do the following (you need a little understanding about Op Amps and how to use resistors and feedback to add (or subtract) two voltages and how to "multiply" (or amplify) by 4.

Assume you want a signal that goes from -10v to +10v, and you have a USB 6009 that only goes from 0 to 5v.  You want 0 v from the DAC to become -10v, and +5 from the DAC to become +10v.  To simplify the thinking, I'm also going to assume your "signal" goes from -10 to 10, so you'd "ideally" send it to a DAC that goes from -10v to 10v.

So what do you have to do to your signal?  Well, you can transform [-10, 10] into [0, 5} by dividing by 4 ([-2.5, 2.5]) and adding 2.5 ([0, 5]).  Send this to the DAC.  Now build a circuit that subtracts 2.5v (you can use AO1 to generate a +2.5v signal, and make your op amp do the subtraction) and amplify the result by 4.  Presto, the output goes from -10v to +10v.  It needs a few resistors (3?), an inexpensive op-amp (do people use 741's anymore?), and an appropriate power supply (±15v, probably).

Bob Schor

Message 6 of 6
(1,921 Views)