From 12:00 AM CDT Sunday, October 17 - 11:30 AM CDT Sunday, October 17, ni.com will be undergoing system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

generating sine wave

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a small labview problem.

I want to generate a sine wave pulse with labview and send this to a pc oscilloscope by using my soundcard.

First VI I made creates a sine wave and sends it to the pc oscilloscope. Works perfectly.

But now i want to create a sine wave with only one period (second VI). Problem is then that the VI blocks if i want a high frequency (I need 10kHz)

So the VI works on low frequencies but gives this error with higher frequency:

"the sound driver or card does not support the desired operation."

Can somebody give a solution for my second VI (creating sine with one period on 10kHz).?

Thanks in advance!

Jelle

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,402 Views)

It could be down to the acceptable frequency range of your sound card. i know of sound cards that have frequency range upto 40kHz. Is there anyway you can confirm this?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,394 Views)

Hello,

But i don't have the problem with my first VI. Then i can go up to 30kHz with my frequency...

So the problem is not my soundcard i think?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,391 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Benje

Hello Benje,

The problem/difference you're seeing is indeed in the coding and also in the sound card.

In the "working" example you're using the Simulate Signal VI with the following settings:

- 44100 samples per second (sample rate)

- Number of samples 10000 (samples per generation cycle)

In the non working example you specify:

- sample rate = 1000*"Frequency Control value". This sampling info should be fixed to (for example) 441000 Hz.

- Number of samples 1000 (samples per generation cycle)

As a sidenote:

Is there any reason why you used different functions to generate similar signals in the 2 VI's?

Kind Regards,
Thierry C - CLA, CTA - Staff R&D Engineer, RF Semiconductor Test - National Instruments
If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved and/or give a kudo. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,358 Views)