From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ftp datalog files

Hi,
I have a problem with regard to FTPing Datlog files.Thing is when I FTP a datalog file that I have created in a particular format and try to read the same file at the remote location (after the FTP) labview gives me an error stating datalog file type conflict. I am reading the file in the same format(data type) as it was written.I guess something happens during the FTP which changes the format or so which poses a datalog conflict problem when i try to read back from it.I tried FTP using both Labview and the normal DOS FTP utilities. Both cases gave me the datalog conflict error.I know my read vi is working properly and that i ahvent done any blunders, coz when i create a file and try to read from it(on the same machine) without the ftp in between
it doesnt give me any errors. Could somebody plz clarify as to why this is happening or if there are any known problems like this that have happened before.
Thanks
kuttu"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,709 Views)
> I have a problem with regard to FTPing Datlog files.Thing is when I
> FTP a datalog file that I have created in a particular format and try
> to read the same file at the remote location (after the FTP) labview
> gives me an error stating datalog file type conflict. I am reading the
> file in the same format(data type) as it was written.I guess something
> happens during the FTP which changes the format or so which poses a
> datalog conflict problem when i try to read back from it.I tried FTP
> using both Labview and the normal DOS FTP utilities. Both cases gave
> me the datalog conflict error.I know my read vi is working properly
> and that i ahvent done any blunders, coz when i create a file and try
> to read from it(on the same machine) without the ftp in
between it
> doesnt give me any errors. Could somebody plz clarify as to why this
> is happening or if there are any known problems like this that have
> happened before.

One common problem is performing the ftp in text mode rather than
binary. This will perform character conversions for end of line, etc.
Make sure that the ftp program is set to binary, then retrieve the file,
and see if that was causing the problem.

Greg McKaskle
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,709 Views)
Make sure you are doing the FTP transfer in binary mode. The default is ascii mode which does things like mess with (what it thinks are) end of line characters. In short, it will trash a datalog file.

You need will probibly need to dig into the FTP drivers a bit as the last ones I saw from NI controlled ASCII/Binary transfers as a side-effect of another switch setting. I'm sorry I can't be more exact but I fixed mine so long ago I don't remember the details. I just remember it was a problem.

On an ftp command level, at some point before the code initiates the transfer it has to send the command:

binary

to which the system responds that the transfer type was set to "I" (which, by the way, stands for image).

Hopes this helps...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,709 Views)
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.I did do the transfer trying both ascii and binary modes. For the binary mode transfer(as i first guessed the problem that could be), i tried both dos and labview ftp utilities, but both didnt work.Also could you give me some more info about the FTP driver stuff?
Thanks
anand
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,709 Views)
If you're curious about the inner workings of the FTP protocol, there are a number of documents online that you can lookup. A good general reference is a document titled RFC765.

In reference to your specific problem, it sounds like there might be a problem with the server you're trying to save it on. Can you email me a typical file and the routine that reads it. I could try transfering it to a server that I have locally (and know works) and see if it makes the round trip successfully.

Another experiment you might try is to compress the datalog file using something like WinZIP and try transferring that back and forth. After you get the file back from the server, see if WinZIP can still open the file.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,709 Views)
Hi again,
I copied the file i needed to FTP on to a floppy and used it at my client(machine). It did not read the file and gave me a datalog file conflict. I guess FTP has nuthin to do with this now. Guess the problem is with the labview versions. i have labview 6i on both machines. I am going to reinstall 6i on my server comp and try generating the file again and then using it at the client.i will get in contact if this doesnt work.
Anywayz im putting my parameter file that i want to FTP and my write and read vis along with this. Would be great if you could look at them as u have said
Thanks
Anand
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,709 Views)