LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fpga

I have a new laptop that runs  Windows 8.1 Pro with all the latest patches.  I'm having trouble compiling FPGA code for the 9076 using Labview 2013 SP1 with latest updates.  The FPGA compile hangs at different points, but typically it's during the "Translation" phase. 

Code for the 9114 compiles OK on it, and the 9076 code compiles OK on a Windows 7 PC.

Is there anything special I need to do on the Win 8.1 PC to get the 9076 code to compile?

Thanks,

- Jim

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,146 Views)
When you say it hangs, what exactly do you mean? It stops responding? Computer locks-up, what? Is the software still doing something (consuming CPU cycles)?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,140 Views)

This might not be too helpful, but I have a colleague here using Win 8.1 and he also cannot compile FPGA without experiencing a halt in the compilation. Do you see the progress bar stop advancing in the compiler?

My colleague's solution was to compile on another (non Win8 / 8.1) machine.

And yes, it's all been reported to NI.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,124 Views)

Hi Mike,

The computer runs other applications, even the labview environment runs fine.  I can open other projects, files, etc., it's just that the FPGA compile worker shows 0% in the Task Manager after a while.  A full compile for the 9076 code on my Windows 7 machine takes about 1:10 to complete.  On the Windows 8.1 box, after 8.5 hrs, it still wasn't complete. The progress bar just stops halfway.

Again, code for the 9114 compiles fine (and quite a bit faster as the 8.1 box has a Haswell processor).

Thanks,

- Jim

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,115 Views)

Thanks Thoric,

A question though, Is your colleague just experiencing problems compiling on the 8.1 box for the 9076 FPGA or for other FPGA chipsets as well?

Thanks,

- Jim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,114 Views)

Hey all,

Just wanted to point out that LabVIEW FPGA does not support Windows 8/8.1 at this time. http://www.ni.com/labview/requirements/

The Xilinx Tools (FPGA compiler) versions we use are ISE 14.7 and Vivado 2013.4 (LV 2014). As you can see on Xilinx's website (ISE, Vivado - see chapter 2), neither compiler supports Win8/8.1.

EDIT: If you have an up to date SSP account with NI, you now have free access to the FPGA Compile Cloud service. Those PC's run the Linux version of the compiler, and should work fine.

Cheers!

TJ G
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,106 Views)

Actually, I set the Windows 8.1 compatibility on the FPGA Compile Worker to Windows 7 compatibility and it now compiles OK. 

Thanks to everyone for their help.

- Jim

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,062 Views)