LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fpga (PXI-7852R) Square Wave DIO

Solved!
Go to solution

I need to improve the pulse width noise of the DIO square  pulses. With my current code (attached .png) I see ~25 ns jitter on the falling edge of the pulse (I trigger on the rising edge) with my oscilliscope. This jitter is present even with only a single square wave being produced (i.e. I delet the other square wave generators).

Any Ideas how to improve the pulse width fidelity? 

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,415 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dthrash

25 ns is your clock period at 40 MHz, so the jitter is unavoidable at that clock rate. The square wave DDS algorithm produces a very accurate frequency over time, but can't control the rate at which it's called for updates.

If you set the loop clock to a higher derived clock frequency, you'll cut down the jitter by the same factor. Right-click on the 40 MHz Onboard Clock in the project under the FPGA target and choose New FPGA Derived Clock. You might have to experiment a bit to see how high you can set the clock rate without introducing timing violations in the compile; newer targets will allow higher clock rates in general. Set your single-cycle timed loop to use the derived clock, and also don't forget to update your Square Wave configuration with the new clock rate.

Message 2 of 3
(2,378 Views)

Your suggestion worked great. Thanks for the explicit instructions. I ran my SCTL at 80 MHz and found that the jitter was less than 5 ns. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,365 Views)