From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flat sequence - one machine working faster than other one

I am using a flat sequence structure program to send commands to two machines, but one goes faster than the other one, if one is still initialiazing in the second frame the other one is in the last frame. I tried to fix the problem by using a case structure and after that I connected a "Elapsed Time" to it so I have a condition but it still skips my first step. Anyone has any idea on how I can I fix the problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(2,537 Views)

@mpintea wrote:

I am using a flat sequence structure program to send commands to two machines, but one goes faster than the other one, if one is still initialiazing in the second frame the other one is in the last frame. I tried to fix the problem by using a case structure and after that I connected a "Elapsed Time" to it so I have a condition but it still skips my first step. Anyone has any idea on how I can I fix the problem?

Without a VI who knows.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,525 Views)

Your post doesn't even come close to giving enough information to give a rational response.

What version of LV?

What OS?

How are you communicating?

What are the devices?

and the really big one:

What does your code look like?

With the information you gave, it could be a technical issue, or it might be space aliens/CIA/Masons/reptilian-illuminati causing it.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,517 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

Your post doesn't even come close to giving enough information to give a rational response.

What version of LV?

What OS?

How are you communicating?

What are the devices?

and the really big one:

What does your code look like?

With the information you gave, it could be a technical issue, or it might be space aliens/CIA/Masons/reptilian-illuminati causing it.

Mike...

Could be Congress because they are good at mucking things up.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,482 Views)

Are you using the same SubVI(s) for the communication to your two machines (whatever these are)?

If these SubVI(s) are not reenetrant they cannot run in parallel. That could explain why one chain of commands gets executed faster than the other.

Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,460 Views)

I'm using 2012 version of Labview.

I am using a function generator to send impulses and I want to drive a machine moving on X, Y and Z, once the machine gets to a certain position I want to send certain impulses, once that is done I want the machine to move to the next step. The problem comes when the function generator sends the impulses earlier than the machine gets to the specified position even though it is set in the right flat sequence frame. I use two for loops in one of the flat sequence frames to set the postion on x and Y, then a case structure connected to a "Time Elapsed" in order to send the impulses. I used the case structure just trying to put a condition for the function generator not to trigger before the position is set, but unfortunately it skips the first step in the for loop.  Time delays don't help much.

I'm using USB ports for communication and "VISA write" and "VISA read" to send the commands. 

Regards,

Maria

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,443 Views)

Answering would be much easier if you post your code - al least post a screenshot of your block diagram.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,438 Views)

Ok, we now have a basic idea of what is happening, but we need to see your code.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,437 Views)

Besides proprietary reasons, I have no idea why people are so reluctant to post their code.  It's like describing to a mechanic what's happening to your car, but refusing to bring it in.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,431 Views)

Here's my code... 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,394 Views)