From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flashing a microcontroller using labview

hi everyone

is there any solution using labview to flash a microcontroller that can replace the commun programms which are made for this like flash loader ?? if yes , what kind of communication protocole is used?? thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,075 Views)

Which Micro-controller?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,072 Views)

just for information , i mean by "flashing" the fact to send to the microcontroller a compiled file

@atul_ghumade : i don't know which micro yet , is there any difference of the ability of flashing with labview between each micro?? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,065 Views)

We used the CAN (Controller Area Network) interface.  The basic bootloader had most of the instructions for operation pre-loaded, then we would use a flash kernel to add additional functionality (PGM & PGM_6 commands) to allow for uploading new firmware into the processor.  We have also performed a similar task using RS-232.

Help the Community (and future reviewers) by marking posts as follows:
If it helped - KUDOS
If it answers the issue - SOLUTION
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,043 Views)

@Minions

thanks for the answer , but i didn't get your idea well , what did you mean by the basic bootloader ?? is a simple UART communication can do the job ?? i used to communicate with types of micro's via RS 232 (sending simple command and read the answers) but is it the same case with flashing a compiled program ?? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,034 Views)

It really depends on the micro in question, and whether the manufacturer will give you all the details of the programming interface (hardware and software) that is necessary. 

I have had to program LabVIEW basically update a "Hex" file with calibration factors, then write a batch file, then call that batch file with the Systemexec.vi to launch a separate program to program some microcontrollers in the past. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,025 Views)