From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flashUpdate.exe "virus"?

I recently installed LabVIEW 8.6.1 and my anti-virus software later found and quarantined a file called flashUpdate.exe in the

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\RT Images\Utilities\BIOS Updater\13.1\7046\    folder. 

I did not see this file listed in the forums (or anywhere on the site), although there seemed to be a few valid NI files that were/are incorrectly tagged as viruses by various anti-virus software packages.  I contacted NI tech support over the phone and they verified that this is a valid file used for updating the BIOS in real-time targets.

Just FYI.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,408 Views)
We are seeing also. If it is indeed a false positive, maybe support should put out a warning or at least contact Symatec and let them know that a false positive exists.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,392 Views)
We are currently aware of this issue.  The file is used to deploy resources to a Real-Time controller.  For now, set Symantec Anti-Virus to unquarantine flashUpdate.exe and consider it safe.
Rob K
Measurements Mechanical Engineer (C-Series, USB X-Series)
National Instruments
CompactRIO Developers Guide
CompactRIO Out of the Box Video
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,350 Views)
I got a similar report on the same file from AVG 7.5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,044 Views)

I sent the file to AVG, and this is their respons:

"Please let us inform you that the detection is correct. The file is corrupted, VA (VirtualAddress) for section 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 is incorrect, imports are missing, etc."

So it seems that the file is not infected, but that it is corrupted.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,251 Views)