LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first order control system for proportional valves

I am working on a proportional valve control program. We have four gas lines and it is desired to send four different gases through a combustion chamber sequentially. The close time for each valve is determined by the pressure measurement inside the combustion chamber. For instance, firstly, we let the nitrogen gas flows to the chamber, and the pressure inside the of it reaches 5 bars, we closed the nitrogen valve, and open the argon gas valve, and hold it opened until the pressure is reached at 15 bars inside the chamber and so on.

I was thinking on utilizing PID for control of these valves, however, one author from my institute said that you can not do this with a PID program, you can do that with a  first order control system. Because in the system,  it is not allowable to gases exceed their set points (set pressure values). PID controls the system with osilations around set point and after it provides the set value, but in this case, we are not allowed to exceed the set point (we may reach the set point slowly and asymptotically, but never exceed it).

I have not background on controlling hence I need your help. Could I do that with Labview? Is there a first order system control module in Control & Simulation Toolkit? And also where can I find examples, tutorials, etc. -if there are- about first order system controlling? Thanks in advance.

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,716 Views)

Hi newbie,

according to Wikipedia a PID control can reach its setpoint also without exceeding it…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,715 Views)

what you are trying to do can be done with PID, but you would need to tune it to avoid overshot. But, most importantly, the use of the closed-loop PID will guarantee that your system will follow the setpoint, which can be a ramp going from the 0 to 100 % of the valve. The ramp on setpoint is a typical control technique to avoid overshoot of the system.

Now, if you look in the PID palette under Control and Simulation, you will see the function called "Lead-Lag". This function is a 'first order' system and you can define a pole and a zero for your system. If your objective is just make the change smooth, you can make the Lead-Lag to work as a "Lag" (make the lead zero) and apply to your system. here is an example:

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2014\examples\control\PID\Simulation - Lead-Lag.vi

If you need something more complicated than Lead-Lag, than I would you advice to use the LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module. There you can really develop more advanced controllers, like higher order filters or Model Predictive Control. But this also requires you to have a better knowledge of control theory...

Barp - Control, Simulation, RTT and HIL - National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,693 Views)

Hello Barp, I will look into "Lead-Lag" vi into labview 2012 and Control and Simulation Toolkit.

As I said overshot is not allowed for this implementation, that's why I can not apply PID. However, if I can control overshot in PID, it can be applied to the system that we work on.

I will check the example you wrote for labview 2014 for 2012, and I will let you whether I have it or not. See you soon.

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,674 Views)

Hi Barp,

Today, I showed Lead-Lag example to my advisor, adn said that we could control the proportional valves with the help of this program. He liked the program and the approach of the process variable to the set point. The only thing the rest is to calibrate the lead and lag coefficient according to our system or set point. We have not installed our experimental setup yet, so I could not try the program on proportional valves. Most probably, I will have an installed experimental setup late on May. At this stage, I want to simulate the real system and check the control program that I will code.

I have installed control design and simulation toolkit on Labview 2012 SP1. Where can I start to do this? I am open to all suggestions about simulation and control program. Thanks in advance.

( Can I simulate proportional valves on labview or do I have to use other programs? I have "LMS-Amesim" 1D simulation & analyses program installed on my PC. Could I use it for simulation and labview for control? What do you advise?)

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,607 Views)

Hi Egemen, 

I've included a few links below that should help you get started with the LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module.

Controls Tutorials for LabVIEW 

Closed Loop Control with LabVIEW and a DC Motor 

Using Control Design & Simulation to Create a PID Controller with Generic Plant 

Regards,
Kelly B.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,565 Views)

Thank you  Kelly. I will look into them.

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,541 Views)