From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

find average value of a bell shaped curve

X and Y both varies from 0 to 5 in 0.5 increments. I have values for each X and Y co-ordinates forming a matrix . The ouput is a three dimentinal bell shaped curve. I need to plot the curve as well as find average value of the curve. How can I do that in labview?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,395 Views)

hi,

Use XY graph from front panel to plot graph of x and y points. and i din't understand that if you have only x and y points how come you will get 3D output.

you need Z co-ordinates to plot 3D curve.

Best luck

Gaurav kSmiley Happy

Gaurav k
CLD Certified !!!!!
Do not forget to Mark solution and to give Kudo if problem is solved.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,390 Views)

Sum the array, divide by the total number of elements in the array.

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 06-02-2009 12:54 AM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,386 Views)

ABM26 wrote:

X and Y both varies from 0 to 5 in 0.5 increments. I have values for each X and Y co-ordinates forming a matrix . The ouput is a three dimentinal bell shaped curve. I need to plot the curve as well as find average value of the curve. How can I do that in labview?

Thanks in advance.

OK, so you have a 2D array of values and you are trying to fit ot to a symmetric 2D gaussian curve (like a "bell" :)). Are you trying to find the center of the curve (the 2D equivalent of the "average" of a 1D gaussian)? Simply fit it to a 2D gaussian with four parameters: x0, Y0, width, Amplitude.

Can you attach some typical data? What is your LabVIEw version?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,372 Views)
Hi thanks for the reply. Here is the file with some data which I want to convert into 3-D plot as well as find averge value.uniformity.JPG
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,361 Views)
Open the example finder and look at "Fit gaussian surface with offset". You problem is much simpler, but it should give you some ideas. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,350 Views)
Can you attach an actual data file instead of an oversized picture with numbers. I don't have OCR software. 😉
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,338 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,336 Views)

I assume you want to fit the lower data set. I'll have a look at it tomorrow. (it's 1am here).

A simple example can also be found here. It's is somewhat prehistoric (pre 8.0) and thus had to deal with the severe shortcomings of the old nonlinear fit tools. All this can now easily be done with the 8.0+ nonlinear fit utilities.

Still, have a look at it, maybe it can give you some ideas. 😉

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,332 Views)
Thanks for looking into this....I need the average value of the 2D plot.....
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,328 Views)