LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

find and replace a single global variable

Hello,

I have a GUI which needs to be replicated 10 times. the variables in the global file also needs to be replicated ten times. ex: if GUI1 is using global variables GUI1_TestMode, GUI1_Result etc,  GUI2 should use GUI2_TestMode, GUI2_Result and GUI3 should use GUI31_TestMode, GUI3_Result etc.  So, once I have saved GUI1 as GUI2, I need a way to select all GUI1_TestMode in GUI2 and replace it with with GUI2_TestMode.

I tried find and replace in the edit menu, but it finds all the global variables together. 

there are about 40 such global variables associated with each GUI and I dont think it will be sane to sit down, rename all of them in the global file, click on each variable and change them.  I really hope I dont have to do that.

I am using Labview 8.6

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,811 Views)

Hi pcs,

instead of using 40 globals per GUI with upto 10 different GUIs you really should redesign your program.

I would suggest a FGV/AE handling those global data for all of those GUIs…

The quick & dirty way would be to use LabVIEW's VI linking scheme:

- Create your global VI with all needed variables. Create your "GUI" and connect it with that global VI.

- Now you copy your GUI to create a new one, this will still be linked to your "global VI".

- Then copy the global VI to create a new instance with a different name ("global2.vi") and ZIP (and remove) the original one.

- When you now open the global2.vi it will search for your orginal "global.vi". Then you simply direct it to use "global2.vi" instead…

- Repeat those steps for all other GUI-VIs…

As said before: QUICK & DIRTY!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 7
(2,801 Views)

Change the global to a cluster and place it in an array, then you'll have an array of settings/info that's easily handled.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,769 Views)

Hi Yamaeda,

yes, easily handled - and a lot of race conditions as soon as several of those "GUIs" try to read and write their data at the same time…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,766 Views)

what is FGV/AE ? 

I have to actually sit and rename them since they are signals to a PLC and needs to be read back and processed, so I am doing it anyway. 

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,721 Views)

@pcs82 wrote:

what is FGV/AE ?

Functional Globals Variable and Action Engine (I highly recommend following that link and giving the nugget a good read).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 6 of 7
(2,711 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Yamaeda,

yes, easily handled - and a lot of race conditions as soon as several of those "GUIs" try to read and write their data at the same time…

If capsuled in an AE incl. a Update function which does the reading and writing internally it should help some, but you can always create races. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,694 Views)