LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file size refresh rate windows 7

Hi guys,

I am using the File/directory info Vi to actively monitor the size of a file that is being downloaded for the purpose of showing progress to the user.

This has worked just as inteded for some years(!) but now that i am using windows 7 it seems that the file size is not updated as quickly as before.

If I press F5 in the folder where the file is downloaded, however, I will get the File/directory VI to also show the updated file size. 

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

-Ø-

Best Regards,

Øyvind

CLAD
32 bit LV2015
64 bit Windows10
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,711 Views)

This is most likely a windows issue, and is closer discussed here.

It is also mentioned some fixes. Have not tried them, but some other claims that they work.

-Tom

Edit:

Also discussed here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/9d1ede23-2666-4951-b3b9-b6c1ce3d1ebf

Some claims that it is unsolvable, but I have not read the entire thread.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,674 Views)

has anyone found a solution to this problem? still seems to be an issue for me (win 7 32 bit pro), forums are vague and none of the fixes I could find work for me.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,363 Views)

I don't know if this was ever resolved, but I wrote a little script that will launch a new explorer window based on the directory path you input.  It then refreshes the directory view, then closes the window.  My data logging program can now be programatically update the size of the log file.  Unfortunately this opens up a new window every 5 seconds (the update rate), then closes it.  The other frame simply has indicators for the Reference Out and the Error Out data.

There must be a better way...

DirRefresh.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,961 Views)

Hi!

You can use the Get File Size function, I have attached an example file below and a snippet for easier viewing.

It is also possible to execute a Windows command line from the System Exec function, giving you the option to run silently (minimized). Have a look at this KB for more information: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8E19CA81874FFDD786256BE40066C151

Get File Size snippet.png

Best regards,

Robert P-F
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,926 Views)

That worked perfectly.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,859 Views)

@RoyS wrote:

That worked perfectly.  Thank you.

Giving Kudos is the best form of "Thank you".

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,855 Views)