LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file path too long

I am trying to load some code.  I have a type def cluster.  When I try to load it with my top level VI I can't because the "file path is too long"

Any sugestions?

Dan

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,855 Views)
That sound like an OS limitation. On Windows you're limited to 255 (256?) characters. Suggestions? Reorganize your directory structure or shorthen the names of your VIs.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,852 Views)

Well that did it. 

I never ran into that problem before.

Dan

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,849 Views)
That's probably because you never before had a full path that was longer that 255 characters. Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 10
(4,845 Views)

You are absolutly right!

I am trying to use more descriptive file folders and file names.  I guess I got a little to carried away.

Dan

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

Message 5 of 10
(4,841 Views)
I have been burned by this problem more than once.  The error messages are not always so nice.  Unfortunately, Vista did little to help the problem, so Windows users will just have to live with it.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,798 Views)

For followers of this thread:

Windows 10 now handles long file paths although it has to be enabled with via various possible registry or group policy edits. However, LabVIEW apparently has not opted in as of LV 2019 SP1.

I made a post on the LV idea exchange to make long file paths work in LV.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Remove-File-Path-Length-Limitation/idi-p/4062640

Message 7 of 10
(3,403 Views)

Separately from the OS limitation, LabVIEW cannot handle more than 255 chars per element of a path.  That’s quite uncommon, but can happen when file or folder names are generated programmatically.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 8 of 10
(3,379 Views)

"LabVIEW cannot handle more than 255 chars per element of a path"

If you run into that issue i'd say you have some other problems! 😄

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,353 Views)

I've always used the File Dialog Express VI to navigate to the file then open it using the Open/Create/Replace VI but have never ran into the 255 character limit. I wonder if that would work and bypass the character limit set by NI.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,337 Views)