LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feedback on my new LCD VI?

Hi guys,

been farting about with various photshop layers in an attempt to create sexier looking indicator panels.

feedback appreciatted,.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 19
(2,430 Views)

I've always found that a neat User-interface was very important.  I always put way to much work in that Smiley Sad

This UI looks very sweet.  Keep it up 😉

Kind regards,

- Bjorn -

Have fun using LabVIEW... and if you like my answer, please pay me back in Kudo's 😉
LabVIEW 5.1 - LabVIEW 2012
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(2,417 Views)

Well, I never judge a VI by it's front panel alone. 😄

Looks nice. One problem with the artificial glare is the fact that the upper portion has significantly less contrast than the lower parts, and in a situation where there is additional natural glare, readability might be imparied. Typically you want the highest contrast possible, because everything else (reflections, room lighting, etc) tends to lower contrast.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 19
(2,407 Views)

Its a fair point....

played about with the layout slighlty. uploaded the vi in case anyone else would like to make use of this. oh i also used the NI 7seg font

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(2,401 Views)

Maybe it is just a quirk I have, but I think you should ALWAYS include a stop button. Even if it is just a demo.

LCD looks nice.

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(2,371 Views)

I agree with Alan.  For VIs posted to the Forum the etiquette is that they should never have infinite loops and they should not be set to autorun.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(2,363 Views)

@ajmartin wrote:

Maybe it is just a quirk I have, but I think you should ALWAYS include a stop button. Even if it is just a demo.

Well, my more advanced applications make a point NOT to have a stop button, because it makes little sense once the application is buillt into an executable.

Stopping an executable is useless, because it should run when openend and close when done. Having a stopped executable only confuses the operator. 😉

The standard way to close an application is the [X] button in the upper right, and that's all that's needed. We can use a filtering event for "panel close?" (etc.)  if certain shutdown code needs to run before the code should terminate. Why would we need an additional, non-standard, stop button somewhere else on the front panel? It takes valuable panel real-estate and clutters the view. 

This leaves us with the scenario of running the program in the development environment. Again, if the code is designed as a proper state machine, pressing stop on the tool bar is typically all that's needed. Only if the program is poorly designed, e.g. with save operations after the main loop, having (and actually remember using!) a stop button on the front panel is important.

A simple program such as this which does not interact with hardware or requires specific shutdown procedures does not really need a stop button when run in the development system.

I typically use a filtering panel close event (that triggers the shutdown code if needed) and then stops the main loop and closes the panel if run as executable. Or it simply stops the VI without closing when run in the development system. Best of both worlds. 😄

Message 7 of 19
(2,361 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

... and they should not be set to autorun.

I agree with that, but fortunately that's not the case here. 😉

I usually hate it even more if the panel and/or diagram is maximised to the screen. So we have a small front panel with a few tiny objects and open it on our super high resolution widescreen monitor and the panel fills the entire screen with huge empty grey areas, covering up everything else I am doing at the same time. That's not polite! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(2,356 Views)

Altenbach,

Like I said, Maybe it is just a quirk with me. I know you are WAY more advanced than I. In preparation for my CLAD I was taught to never leave a VI in the state you had to hit the stop button on the tool bar. (like in this example). The point was also made in Jim Kring and Jeffrey Travis book "LabVIEW for Everyone". I never got to use LabVIEW professionally since my CLAD cert, but I just started a new job and hope to work it into the test processes there. I have been designing test fixtures for 30 years though and ALWAYS have a "stop this thing now" button or switch near by.

Alan

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(2,355 Views)

I know, I know! 😄

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(2,349 Views)