From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

external power supply to usb 6008

Hi,

I am using a lts 6-np current sensor. I need to measure current from an external power supply. The sensor has three terminals- +, 0 and out. Where should I connect (to which pins?) the power supply's terminals (+ve and gnd) and the sensor's terminals. Especially the out(of sensor) and power supply +ve.?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,022 Views)

Hi kdm,

the first step to answer those questions is to read the manual of your sensor. Which voltage does it expect?

Then you read the manual of the USB6008. Does it supply the voltage your sensor needs?

Seems pretty hard for you to read manuals - as I told you this several times before…

The USB6008 has a +5V output and several GND pins. When your sensor works with +5V supply you can use those pins!

The next time you ask questions answered by your sensor spec sheet please be so nice to provide a link to the sensor spec sheet!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,020 Views)

Hi Gerd,

I know it has a +5v supply and +5 is sufficient for the sensor, but I want to measure current from an external power supply. (I'll have to vary the power supply and see variations.) 

http://www.lem.com/docs/products/lts%206-np.pdf (link to current sensor datasheet)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,013 Views)

Hi kdm,

as the sensor spec sheet cleary says the sensor outputs a voltage signal proportional to the measured current. Please read the manual!

All you need to do is measuring the voltage output and converting the value back to current - the formula is given in the manual!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,008 Views)

Hi Gerd,

Can you please tell the hardware connections? Is "out" connected to an analog channel and to the same channel the power supply's +ve connected?

I will not be using the +5v of the usb.(because I need to vary power supply and measure current). 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,003 Views)

Hi kdm,

your LEM sensor needs a constant power supply of +5V and GND so you will connect those pins to the "+5V" and "GND" pins of your USB6008. The sensor "out" pin is connected to an AI of your choice…

I will not be using the +5v of the usb.(because I need to vary power supply and measure current).

That doesn't make sense in any way…

I'm wondering why you are involved in building measurement setups as it seems (to me) you don't have any experience/knowledge in that area…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,998 Views)

Hi Gerd,

Okay, it needs a constant supply of 5v, What about the other power supply, from which I have measure current (where should I connect those?)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,989 Views)

Hi kdm,

What about the other power supply, from which I have measure current (where should I connect those?)

I dunno…

It's your power supply you want to measure - aka DUT!

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,983 Views)

Hi Gerd,

I mean can I connect it to any of the AI channels? Or to the same channel where "out" is connected?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,977 Views)

Hi Gerd,

I think I got it. The supply is connected to any other channel and that is connected to IN of the sensor.  The OUT to another channel. The resulting out voltage of sensor is connected to another AI.

Sorry for the inconvinience and thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,951 Views)