From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export data from plot to excel appends "m" or "u" to data

Solved!
Go to solution

Sometimes when I right click on plot and select export to Excel, the data in Excel has "m" or "u" appended, meaning 1.0E-3 or 1.0E-6. But I can't get Excel to recognize these as numbers.

Is there way to export in different format or to get Excel to recognize these numbers?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(944 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tony_wash_gx5

Hi Tony,

@tony_wash_gx5 wrote:

Sometimes when I right click on plot and select export to Excel, the data in Excel has "m" or "u" appended, meaning 1.0E-3 or 1.0E-6. But I can't get Excel to recognize these as numbers.

Can you define "sometimes" more precisely? When exactly do you get those "u"/"m" chars?

Just a(n educated) guess: are you formatting the axis values to show SI units (%p)? If so: why do you wonder about getting such values when exporting to Excel?

@tony_wash_gx5 wrote:

Is there way to export in different format or to get Excel to recognize these numbers?

Sure: don't rely on built-in methods of the chart, but create your own routine to export data to a CSV file! It's quite easy: you need just one file function...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(932 Views)

I guess you're formatting your strings with %p? Use %f, %g or %e (see the documentation).

%p formats numbers to strings with SI prefixes.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(909 Views)

Do a search and replace of m -> e-3 in excel 😄

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(887 Views)