LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.exe with .dll reference has broken arrow but vi executes without error

Highlighted

Hello all.

I have a project I want to build into a exe that gives me a broken arrow when the .exe is generated. I added only the first couple of sub vi's to see where the problem starts and it is when the second sub vi is introduced with a .dll reference where the error occurs. 

I included a sample of the project where it starts producing errors in the .exe, a snapshot of the source file locations when I build the exe., a snapshot of the error the .exe produces and a snapshot of the .net references on my computer which look good.

My larger program ran just fine but does not when I build the .exe and that is why I truncated  the program in hopes of pinpointing the issue.

I am running the .exe on the computer I developed on. Also, when I open the exe, it makes me point back to the dll. Is that expected? Does anyone see anything obvious that I am missing or is there something I am missing using the .dll in the build process?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(173 Views)
Highlighted

Hello,

I think you have missing version of .NET Framework. You can refer to this link This VI Is Not Executable Error When Trying to Run an Executable to understand more about the error appear in your executable. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(94 Views)
Highlighted

@bakaliu96 wrote:

Hello,

I think you have missing version of .NET Framework. You can refer to this link This VI Is Not Executable Error When Trying to Run an Executable to understand more about the error appear in your executable. 

Thanks.

I have read that help page already and it looks like it does not apply to me. Like I pointed out in the post, the .exe is being run on the same computer I developed it on. Addionally, I put a screen capture of the .net framework installed on the windows 10 PC in my post which includes .net 2.0, 3.0,3.5 and 4.0.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(88 Views)
Highlighted

"In build specifications you create an “Application.exe” that’s name is specified by “Target File name” in the Information tab of My Application Properties.

In Destinations underneath “Application.exe” there is a “Support Directory” which will be placed in the same “Destination directory” chosen in Information folder that the “Application.exe” is in, as a folder called ...\data

When the application is built in the “My Application” folder you will see four files, data, Application.aliases, Application.exe & Application.ini . In the data folder you will have your lvanlys.dll included. The best place to put your .dll’s is in the same folder as where you would install your .exe, under a folder called “data”.

This page helps to explain the files that appear in your dependencies section of your project that will ultimately be pulled into your “data” folder:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvconcepts/viewing_dependencies/

It also helps to explain which .dll’s you will need to include.

To answer your question very specifically, for your application when creating your .exe, the lvanlys.dll should automatically go into a “data” folder in the same directory as your .exe. When adding further .vi’s into your application that have other .dll’s they should auto-populate in your dependency list, and as such automatically also be included in your “data” folder when the project has been built into an executable. If you manually wanted to add in extra .dll’s for whatever reason, then you would want to put them in the “data” folder."

This is the reply from the Application Engineer in NI. I hope that this can help with your problem.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(79 Views)
Highlighted

@bakaliu96 wrote:

"In build specifications you create an “Application.exe” that’s name is specified by “Target File name” in the Information tab of My Application Properties.

In Destinations underneath “Application.exe” there is a “Support Directory” which will be placed in the same “Destination directory” chosen in Information folder that the “Application.exe” is in, as a folder called ...\data

When the application is built in the “My Application” folder you will see four files, data, Application.aliases, Application.exe & Application.ini . In the data folder you will have your lvanlys.dll included. The best place to put your .dll’s is in the same folder as where you would install your .exe, under a folder called “data”.

This page helps to explain the files that appear in your dependencies section of your project that will ultimately be pulled into your “data” folder:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361J-01/lvconcepts/viewing_dependencies/

It also helps to explain which .dll’s you will need to include.

To answer your question very specifically, for your application when creating your .exe, the lvanlys.dll should automatically go into a “data” folder in the same directory as your .exe. When adding further .vi’s into your application that have other .dll’s they should auto-populate in your dependency list, and as such automatically also be included in your “data” folder when the project has been built into an executable. If you manually wanted to add in extra .dll’s for whatever reason, then you would want to put them in the “data” folder."

This is the reply from the Application Engineer in NI. I hope that this can help with your problem.

When I originally built the .exe, the files generated were exactly as described in your reply. The zip file I provided in the post has the resulting .exe build. Still broken run arrow. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(62 Views)
Highlighted

I have run all the programs in the ZIP file you provided. When I run the Application, it directs me to find the .NET Assembly named "IOMgrIFdotNETWrapper.dll". I think the .dll is not included in the executable's build. The directory path may be incorrect. When I search for the file location of the "IOMgrIFdotNETWrapper.dll" in Project Explorer, it is shown as the image below. However, when I direct to the file location, I did not found anything. I even search in the ZIP file but also failed. 

I suggest you to refer this link:

LabVIEW Executable Cannot Find DLL

Thanks and good luck with your application. To be honest, I am still new to LabView.

bakaliu96_0-1603094561170.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(48 Views)