LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exe that calls another exe

Hi everyone

I am trying to use the application builder to build an exe file however my main Vi calls other VIs using the server.
I would like to build an exe for the main VI then another .exe for each of the vi call by the vi server from the main VI.

Would it be possible to do this?. 
Would I be able to distribute 3 or 4 exe and the main exe will run and call the other sub exe?

Thank You in advance 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,866 Views)
Why do you want to create separate .exe files for your dynamic VIs? You can just include the dynamic VIs in your build. In the "Source FIles" click on "Add Dynamic VI" and select the VI that's being loaded dynamically. It, along with its hierarchy, will be added to the build and you'll have a single .exe file.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,852 Views)

Thank You for your reply

These dynamically lynk VIs has a lot subvis and are giving me errors. Also, we would like to keep the application in three sections

or structure into three .exe.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,844 Views)

I can see a very good reason.  It lends itself to developing "plugins" that can have a version assigned to them (assuming LabVIEW 8.0).  That way an installer (i.e. InstallShield) can make intelligent and robust decisions during a repair or upgrade installation.

However, I am going to try compiling the sub vi's into a dll instead of an exe.  Should not be much different but I have not tried it yet.  Not sure if there will be any performance hits calling a vi in a dll vs. a llb.  Anyone know?

Message 4 of 6
(2,845 Views)
DLLs make a lot more sense than separate EXEs. It easy to pass parameters to and get data back from a DLL. It's somewhat tedious to pass data to an exe and you have to write the code to do it. It's a huge pain to get data back from an exe. There's sure to be some performance difference if you have a DLL versus a static VI since all subVIs are loaded when the main is first loaded. If you are dynamically calling a VI, my guess it would take about the same amount of time but I don't have any benchmark data to back that up.
Message 5 of 6
(2,838 Views)
Thank you to all of you for the answers.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,811 Views)